PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
For years I was a big jazz fan. But, gradually my love of hard driving electrified blues has totally supplanted my musical preferences. Though, can't do blues with the morning joe. Has to be classical chamber music.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
YES! Oh I love jazz. I call it slow jazz as opposed to smooth, but it's the same thing. I love Diana Krall... man she's got a sexy voice. But I also like pop Jazz like Donald Fagen solo's and Steely Dan. And of course, all the oldies as mentioned above.

It's interesting that I didn't always like jazz. I didn't get it. Then one day or year, all of a sudden it clicked. now I can't get enough. Very odd.
From what you said, if you haven't heard her before, you might want to take a listen to "Sarah K".

Reactions: monty55

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I listen to my jazz while the wife is asleep late at night. I do it in my smoking room while puffing my pipe. So as not to wake her I use a headphone rig.

I'm an old time audiophile so I want great sound quality. Here's what I've put together and if you also demand quality sound I can recommend it.

Ipod classic 120 gb, 7th Generation
Ray Samuels SR71A Amp
Ray Samuels interconnect
Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Attachments

• 32 (Copy).jpg
    32 (Copy).jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1405622232000-146611 (Copy).jpg
    1405622232000-146611 (Copy).jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3
  • rsa-sr71a-1 (Copy).jpg
    rsa-sr71a-1 (Copy).jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 3

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Not a fan of smooth jazz but I don’t diss it. There’s no improvisation to smooth jazz as compared to traditional jazz. Give me bepop, swing, West Coast Jazz, Cool jazz, you all get me.

Putting on some Chet Baker...

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I love Dave Brubeck's music (especially, the lyrical sax playing of Paul Desmond with the quartet). I was fortunate enough to meet Dave and Iola Brubeck at the Blue Note in New York years ago—they very generously signed some LPs and a box set for me.
Some people said Desmond was all technique and no soul, I don't agree.

I would like something that's signed too.... those original paintings of Brubeck's album cover art that are hanging in his home. puffy

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wanted to contact S. Neil Fujita years ago. He lived on Long Island. He designed a dust jacket by a mystery author, whose work I collect extensively. I wanted to see if he still had the mechanical for the book jacket. Fujita designed record covers for CBS and I, too, would love the paintings he did for Brubeck's Time Out and Mingus's Ah Um.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
What's fascinating to me about Kind of Blue (from 1959) is that the speed was off on three of the tunes (Side One of the LP) until a safety recording was discovered—a corrected version didn't appear until 1992 (the CBS Gold Mastersound CD).
Anyone who doesn't like this album has to be sick. cray