PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
There is a certain type of smooth NY jazz that I just call 'Spike Lee Jazz', because he uses it in his films, if I am in the mood for some smooth jazz that is both jazzy and smooth, then that is where I start usually.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I can't stop listening to Maceo Parker / The JB's lately.. that's as close to smooth jazz as I think I'm going to get for a while..

If anybody has any suggestions to branch out from the above, I'm all ears.

And yes, @Ahi Ka I fully agree with the bass walking comment, not that I'm much of a player/musician, but it helps that I use a headphone amp and Spotify, so nobody besides me knows how lousy I am.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I stumbled across this thread and figured... Why not?

I'm a long time audiophile and jazz lover and thought, what could I suggest that everyone hasn't heard already? So, instead of Miles Davis or Charlie Parker etc. I thought of this.

There is a record label out of Japan that specialized in recordings of Japanese jazz groups of the 70s. Sounds terrible... don't be so sure. Not only are the recording of excellent sound quality the performers are top notch. Some of the original compositions are as good as the best anywhere. Their CDs are among my most prized.

Do some searching on line and you'll probably find some samples. Good listening.

Three Blind Mice is a Japanese jazz record label founded in June 1970 as a showcase for Japan's emerging jazz performers. It has produced more than 130 albums have been released since. So far they have won the Jazz Disc Award five times in Japan. Produced by Takeshi Fujii and often recorded by the Yoshihiko Kannari, TBM created jazz records by Japanese players since the 1970s and became known for its audiophile sound quality. TBM's records captured a very important, vibrant era in the development of Japanese jazz. Stars like Isao Suzuki, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, George Kawaguchi, Terumasa Hino and Mari Nakamoto recorded their very first albums with the label. Artists also include Shuko Mizuno's "Jazz Orchestra '73", Toshiyuko Miyama, Masaru Imada and Bingo Miki.

puffy

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
YES! Oh I love jazz. I call it slow jazz as opposed to smooth, but it's the same thing. I love Diana Krall... man she's got a sexy voice. But I also like pop Jazz like Donald Fagen solo's and Steely Dan. And of course, all the oldies as mentioned above.

It's interesting that I didn't always like jazz. I didn't get it. Then one day or year, all of a sudden it clicked. now I can't get enough. Very odd.

Reactions: gubbyduffer

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
If you like big band, here's one you might have missed. It's really great.

And just for fun try this one. Outstanding sound quality.

Last edited: