PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Isn't that the state with motto "weed is the future, dude." Or am I thinking of a wrong state.
There is this stereotype that pot smokers do nothing, yet they set out to change the law and peoples view and they've accomplished both relatively quickly. Maybe us tobacco smokers could learn something from them. Maybe we should do what they do what they did and tell everyone why pipes are healthy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It has zero to do with protecting local B&M's. Seriously? It has everything to do with more taxation dollars and anti smoking Nazis. If I were unfortunate enough to live in Washington, I'd have it shipped to a friend in a nearby state who would in turn ship to me in Washington. Cost you a few extra bucks for shipping but problem solved. I'd make my orders large to minimize the inconvenience to my friend.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
There is this stereotype that pot smokers do nothing, yet they set out to change the law and peoples view and they've accomplished both relatively quickly. Maybe us tobacco smokers could learn something from them. Maybe we should do what they do what they did and tell everyone why pipes are healthy.
I think I would buy some buds...if it was named Christmas Cheer.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Take this for what it's worth, but these were the stated reasons that Washington passed the bill outlawing tobacco shipments:

SB 5340 / HB 1249: Tobacco Internet Sales

As the committee co-Chair for the National Association of Attorneys General, former Attorney General Rob McKenna continued Washington’s leadership role in seeking to uphold the public health goals of the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.

The proliferation of online sales potentially posed several problems for Washington and its residents:

• Selling tobacco to minors is illegal in Washington, as in every state. Internet and mail-order sellers offered minors relatively easy access to tobacco. Our ability to verify the age of the recipients of tobacco products sold remotely appeared to be unenforceable.
  • Internet sellers advertised that their customers can avoid state excise taxes. Purchases by Washington consumers of cigarettes over the Internet resulted in a loss of revenue to the state.
  • Because they evaded state taxes, Internet sellers placed traditional licensed distributors and retailers at a competitive disadvantage.
  • The availability of “cheap smokes” from online sellers undercut the public health purpose of Washington’s tobacco excise tax. Higher costs of tobacco products have been shown to be effective in deterring non-smokers — particularly youth — from starting to smoke, and serve as an incentive for smokers to quit.
  • Internet sellers offeed for sale tobacco products manufactured by some companies that have not complied with Washington’s tobacco product manufacturer certification process, and, therefore, were not legal for sale in Washington. These sales violated RCW 70.157 and 70.158 (Washington’s “escrow” statute and “complementary” legislation).
The Attorney General’s Office helped pass the legislation prohibiting the shipment of certain tobacco products purchased through the Internet or by mail order to anyone other than licensed wholesalers or retailers, correcting a loophole in Washington’s laws regarding age verification, taxation, public health goals and certification.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
They also won’t ship to the liberal strongholds of South Dakota and Utah! All seven of us should vote with our feet, that will show them!

In all seriousness, it is a shame. There are very few online options left.

Fortunately, I have friends out of state who will happily receive orders for me...

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
Wow, I was considering moving there too... may need to rethink my options or set up a PO box in Oregon somewhere to pick up large orders from. It'd be a 6 hour round trip from Seattle to Portland though, yeesh...

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
There are national organizations seeking the elimination of tobacco use advising politicians on policy. They take a bite of what they can pull off without too much backlash from voters or special interest groups. Guess that’s not new news.

Reactions: morior8
Status
Not open for further replies.