PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
There were always a few online retailers that were brave enough to ship tobacco to Washington State in spite of our ridiculous laws against it. That list of retailers is getting smaller and smaller. Now smokingpipes no longer will ship here. I may have to start smoking Captain Black :(

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There were always a few online retailers that were brave enough to ship tobacco to Washington State in spite of our ridiculous laws against it. That list of retailers is getting smaller and smaller. Now smokingpipes no longer will ship here. I may have to start smoking Captain Black :(
Yeah... a long time ago

Washington state is weak anyways. I’d move.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remind me what the good citizens of Washington State think they are gaining by this law. Are the citizens bursting with health as never before, or is there a revenue stream created? Or is it just for some sense of moral superiority not to cater to peoples' weaknesses? For some reason, this is unclear to me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Remind me what the good citizens of Washington State think they are gaining by this law. Are the citizens bursting with health as never before, or is there a revenue stream created? Or is it just for some sense of moral superiority not to cater to peoples' weaknesses? For some reason, this is unclear to me.
No. Some people don’t like smoking and they don’t want anyone else to be able.

maybe they should worry about all the people shooting up heroin in the streets?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
$$$ - Prevent smokers from getting around local and state tobacco taxes.

Jun 23, 2019
This old topic again? And the same misguided anger as per usual.

State by state, these loopholes will be closed. On the one hand, yes, it is to curb tobacco use, but a large part of stopping online sales is to protect your local B&Ms - and to get all that tax revenue.

BROBS is right. The only way to affect change you want is to participate: either with your vote or with your feet.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
State by state, these loopholes will be closed. On the one hand, yes, it is to curb tobacco use, but a large part of stopping online sales is to protect your local B&Ms - and to get all that tax revenue.

The issue should be about lost sales tax to on-line purchases of any product, not just tobacco. Tobacco is singled out because it is taxed at a much higher rate.

If you want to "protect the local B&M's", prohibit punitive taxation on select products. The sales tax on all legal products should be the same standard rate across the board.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nothing at all about protecting local B&M's. All the contrary: they know that by now those local tobacco shoppes are practically non-existent, and the few that remain have a foot and half the other in the grave by now as well. With the lockdowns, a number of them might not reopen at all. Quite the master stroke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the omission of cigars in the regulations, I surmise that pipe tobacco is just collateral damage, because legislators don't read the bills in detail. Writing legislation is all forward motion and very little thought, in most cases. Crap gets passed, or nothing gets passed. It's called getting things done, and getting re-elected. But I'm only somewhat cynical ... better this system than most alternatives, with big room for improvement.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm in Washington, and it is indeed nasty. There arenn't many B&Ms left, though most closed ages ago. We used to have Tinder Box stores in Tukwila (Southcenter Mall), Tacoma (Tacoma Mall, then moved), Bellevue (Bellvue Square Mall, then moved), Issaquah, and at least two other malls, as well as something called Pipelane Limited (think Tinder Box before the remodel, dark Ole English looking place) in Bellevue and in Northgate Mall, as well as F.K. Kirsten in Seattle proper. Now, there's the Tacoma Tinder Box, Kirsten (moved twice, now in a very small space), Rain City Cigar in south Seattle (they have some pipes and pipe tobacco) and, reputedly, a shop up north in Bellingham. Besides that, there are loads of "cigarette & cigar" shops that also sell glass pipes, hookahs, knick-knacks and, if you're lucky, a few high-end SMS or Paykoc meerschaums.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.