PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I was struggling with Squadron Leader. No taste, lots of dottle, wouldn't stay lit.

In a fit of madness, I put a little bit in the microwave. Surprisingly (or not), it did wonders.
But I do have a question about dry tobacco. How do you pack it? Tried every "method", and I'm not satisfied with the results.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't use a "method" other than loading by stuffing with digit, tamping, lighting and repeating the latter two as needed. It may be that it needs more pressure on the tamp than you can do safely when it's damp.(risking compaction to the point of inhibiting draw.)
Microwave works wonders, especially in damp climates or times.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"How do you pack it? Tried every "method", and I'm not satisfied with the results."
What I do with (suitably aired) cube cut tobacco is to just let it tumble into the bowl and whilst holding the stem in my right hand I 'flick' the bowl sharply with my left thumb until the baccy settles. I add more as required until I am ~5mm from the rim of the bowl then fire up.
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
This is an interesting thread. Jpmcwjr (John) and toobfreak how do you use your hygrometers? I did a google search and most of the images show just an analog meter, but is there a probe that touches the tobacco, like a hygrometer for checking wood moisture, or do you put the tobacco in a humidor and then get a reading? 65% seems the consensus and at 65% does tobacco feel "bone dry? I think another poster mentioned using a hygrometer to help develop a feel for good moisture content-- seems like a good way to go. Thanks all-- great knowledge and info here.
Eric

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A moisture meter takes a direct reading from the material tested with a probe. They are very expensive, but I'd guess most blenders use them. On the other hand, a small hygrometer measures the relative humidity of the air. Can be had for $5.00 and up. So, placing a small one (such as below) in a jar, pouch, tin, will after several hours, give a decent proxy for the tobacco's moisture level.
And, no, I wouldn't consider 65% RH at 70º "bone dry", but some certainly would.
I got some via Amazon but they are cheaply made, and the batteries and contacts will rust over time if kept in high humidity. They were $10 but I've seen them subsequently at $5.00 though not today.
413Fjs6QhpL.jpg

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have a soil tester that measures moisture levels in the ground, that should work for this. And no, 65% is ideal for a cigar and you certainly wouldn't consider them bone dry. Bone dry is probably more like

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty sure a soil tester will not work, but give it a go! I think it relies on actual conductivity through the soil, hard to replicate, at least on ribbon cuts! Maybe into a cake or plug...
Bone dry, a term I've seen Sablebrush use, helps folks go beyond their comfort level in drying, but isn't literally bone dry- (desiccated).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It does seem that a lot of folks prefer to smoke their baccy without any airing at all. Then we hear of grumbles of hot smokes, wet smokes, steamy smokes ad infinitum.
Thing is, very few manufacturers sell their blends in perfect condition (moisture wise) to be smoked straight from the tin. Shelf life is their main consideration.
Most need some air drying, some more than most (both Kendal houses spring to mind here). Yes, it is a very personal thing but I would suggest experimenting with the moisture level of your preferred blends...you might like me surprise yourself!
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Yes, I have been drying more of late with good results. I have a wood hygrometer with two probes that measures conductivity between them and will experiment with it to see if it works on flake tobacco which I mostly smoke. Although, I suspect flakes may not be dense enough for an accurate reading. I would like to start using something to help me develop a feel for the correct range of moisture-- seems like a skill worth developing. Thanks all for input.
Eric

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
And, no, I wouldn't consider 65% RH at 70º "bone dry", but some certainly would.
Here is an answer:
At a relative humidity level of 70%, and a temperature of 64°F (18°C) the air contains approximately 10 grams of water per cubic meter of air. In such an environment, the cigar should absorb the ideal rate of humidity of 14% of its weight.
14% is considered to be ideal.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I've measured a lot of tobacco over the years with a moisture meter. All plugs/flakes measure at 38-40% moisture. Loose tobacco is typically about 20%. The only tobacco that I found to be acceptable from a moisture level standpoint was White Night at 16%. I have not measured any GL Pease tobaccos. I hear they are drier than your average tobacco.
I've often wondered though does the PG added to just about all tobacco effect the accuracy of my meter. Perhaps I should weigh a plug, let it set out for a year and weigh again. The difference would tell me the true water content.

But then again- I'm not interested enough to waste a year watching a plug dry out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jitter- Either your moisture meter is not accurate, or you've latched on to some real soggy tobaccos. I believe that you can't get an accurate moisture meter for under several hundred bucks. Those made for soil don't count!
Iron- Those little hygrometers from Amazon are a decent proxy for getting a good reading on moisture content via RH.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Nope, there's nothing wrong with the moisture meter I have. I've used it for years to measure and keep track of my homegrown tobacco.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Just know that most tobaccos are packed at optimum moisture for shipping and storing, not for smoking.
That is probably one of the more profound and important statements about tobacco I've read here. I would certainly agree that an aro probably does not smoke or recover as well from getting too dried out as it has lost a lot of what was added to it in the first place and what is left was meant mainly as the carrier for the flavoring. But it surprises me to read in the many dried-out threads people's surprise that the stuff smokes well! Dampness is never an aid to making a plant burn better.
I would agree--- store the stuff as it comes and dry before smoking. If you think it is too dry, someone once commented that a good method is to put in pipe and (without blowing the stuff all over the room) exhale through the mouthpiece gently and let the warm, moist breath rehydrate the tobacco a little, or maybe while still laying on a dish in the open.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You'd be surprised at the vehemence of a few who think all tobacco from the big names is right for smoking right out of a fresh tin... But I am also glad a number of folks are not afraid to experiment.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No, no. Most tobaccos are packaged in a way to continue aging with a reasonable shelf life. I've seen tins on shelves that literally had dust on them you could write in. There is no "sell by" date on a tin. By making it overly moist, they accomplish two things: they give a greater assurance of the product still being acceptable to a greater number of people over a longer period, and, they sell you less tobacco.
Except for the cheap stuff that comes by the pound in big plastic bags. That stuff is very dry because bags suck at holding moisture and if sold moist by the pound, they would probably be a few ounces under weight by the time most people got them.
Worst offender to me to date: SPC Mississippi River. You could probably leave the tin open for a week just to bring the stuff around to a fairly smokable condition.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Often I prep my tobaccos and put them into unsealed tins to carry with me. Today I smoked some Motzek Strang that was crispy dry. Not on purpose, it just happened to be that way. Unfortunately, the quality was diminished a bit, but the shit stayed lit for a change, which was nice. Like most things pipe related, experimentation and trial and error seem to dictate the experience. There's no single answer to any question when it comes to this pursuit. Do and smoke what you like. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dry has often worked for me. Historically, the old square rigger sailors kept their pipe tobacco in their sea lockers or sea bag in cloth bags, so it dried up a lot. I'm not recommending it, but many times dried out tobacco provides a good smoke.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Drier tobacco = quicker charlight, less relights, less gurgling in bent pipes and generally a more flavoursome smoke.
Wetter tobacco = prolonged charlighting, more relights, more gurgling in bent pipes, soggy dottle that can't be smoked and a somewhat diminished smoking experience in the flavour dept due in part to smoking steam.
The choice is yours dear smoker :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.