PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Should you do it or should you rest your tongue?

I've hit pipe smoking hard in the last 3 weeks after having took about a yearlong break. Also popped a whole bunch of tins i had stored, along with trying some stuff i havent touched in a while. I still get enjoyment from smoking and trying out all these new and aged blends. Just got some biotene in today so that should help, but should i let my tongue rest as well or will it still get better if i smoke through?

Last edited by a moderator:

jmg81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2019
Camp Humphreys, South Korea
See how it feels the next day. I've had days where I thought my tongue was bit but it wasn't. I've also had days where I thought my tongue was bit and I was correct in that diagnosis.
Oh its bit lol

A year long break? maybe start back in first gear? like 2 evenings a week for a month as an example of what I would consider 'first gear'.
I was smoking 2-4 cigars a week during that time.

My body is telling me to slow down but my mind is tellling me "you're finally getting this pipe thing, 7 years after you first started. Dont lose this momentum and plow through!"

?‍♂️

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoke my pipes while driving, every else, but when I’m driving especially. Yesterday I drove for nine hours and churned through nine bowls full, maybe ten. Today I’m a little “bit” (cadence and driving depend on the road conditions and other idiots on the road. :col:

So today I’ll smoke my Peterson Plips to give my tongue a break.

Always happens after super long drives.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Last time I had it was when smoking St James Flake.....never bought it again despite liking it. My usual smoke is Argento Virginia/Burley ready rubbed mix which I press for a week or two before smoking it. That way it burns slower and tastes stronger and no matter how much I puff I don't get tongue bite.
St. James Flake did me dirty like that the first week I smoked it, I kept smoking it, my mouth acclimated and now I never have that problem. I really think a lot of the times your palate just needs to acclimate to the new blend. FVF also did this but I liked it so much, I just kept smoking it, now I can’t get it to bite if I try.