PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hold the smoke in your mouth for long periods and slowly retrohale. If you're trying to find a nic hit in pipe tobacco though, it's likely you're tolerance is too high to notice it. I have to really over do it by smoking large amounts of high nicotine blends in magnum sized pipes to feel anything from pipe tobacco.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The idea is to cram in as much smoke in your lung as as possible. Here is an instruction.

*I'm not responsible for any damage to your person, others around, your pets, your friends pets or any living things in case this works and you puke your lungs out possibly going to hospital or end up dead*

1. Hold the end of stem, button, with bottom two fingers of whichever hand.
2. Support the hand holding the stem with other hand by cupping it.
3. Exhale completely. Repeat few times.
4. Put your lip on the opening on the hand holding stem. Make sure there's no opening on hands to mouth.
5. Take deep sucking inhale and take direct lung hit as long as you can.

Used to do similar thing with cigarettes when I was kid. Will give a very very strong nic buzz.

I didn’t interpret the OP to mean that he is looking for a maximum nic hit, but that he wants to know what technique in smoking a pipe would give best absorption of the inherent nicotine in whatever blend…. Not a call for hardcore nicotine hitter tobacco blends nor how to inhale pipe tobaccos.

Slow smoking, breathsmoking, or just “the clench” would be my suggestions for further research for the OP.
Honestly, I’m not even sure how to smoke a pipe outside of these terms. I’m not a billowy clouds sort of guy.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I didn’t interpret the OP to mean that he is looking for a maximum nic hit, but that he wants to know what technique in smoking a pipe would give best absorption of the inherent nicotine in whatever blend…. Not a call for hardcore nicotine hitter tobacco blends nor how to inhale pipe tobaccos.

Slow smoking, breathsmoking, or just “the clench” would be my suggestions for further research for the OP.
Honestly, I’m not even sure how to smoke a pipe outside of these terms. I’m not a billowy clouds sort of guy.
That's what I was looking for, thanks cosmic. Definitely don't want to inhale. I tend to use the technique you described the majority of the time, but not all the time. I'll try to do it more consciously and continuously. Unfortunately I am used to strong tobaccos. Looks like I need to find some Cotton Boll

That's what I was looking for, thanks cosmic. Definitely don't want to inhale. I tend to use the technique you described the majority of the time, but not all the time. I'll try to do it more consciously and continuously. Unfortunately I am used to strong tobaccos. Looks like I need to find some Cotton Boll
Cotton Boll is, hands down, the strongest tobacco I’ve smoked. I would approach it with the respect and fear it deserves.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

This is how I smoke. I’ve found that if I get a nic hit it normally comes about 15mins after finishing

I don’t get a nic hit off of every smoke or tobacco, but I’m not smoking for that effect all day. But, even a lightweight Virginia can at least sate my needs for nicotine when smoked slow and savored. Yeh, I smoke for flavor too, and I find smoking slow or breathsmoking allows me to taste more also. Win/win. Unless your needs are to just burn money into the air, smoking slow can meet all of your needs.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I don’t get a nic hit off of every smoke or tobacco, but I’m not smoking for that effect all day. But, even a lightweight Virginia can at least sate my needs for nicotine when smoked slow and savored. Yeh, I smoke for flavor too, and I find smoking slow or breathsmoking allows me to taste more also. Win/win. Unless your needs are to just burn money into the air, smoking slow can meet all of your needs.
I gotta say, I've been really tuning in to the breath technique all night so far and it's working out great. I've known how to do it for a while, but never tried to make it the primary habit, and I really can taste the tobacco more. It's hard not to salivate though, but I'm guessing that will correct in time. The slightly excessive puffing I was doing was killing my palate, and I'm noticing a more fulsome nic hit too. Thanks!