PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
So, my oldest daughter, whom I live with, was complaining about the pipe tobacco smell that sometimes escaped my room. She's not looking for a better smelling tobacco... she want's no tobacco smell at all.

I basically live in my room, and the kitchen. I always keep my door shut and try to crack the window when weather conditions allow. But with the central AC and Heat positive air flow the smell will escape occasionally. I told her I'd take care of it.

So, this is my fix. It works fantastic! These computer case fans with variable speed controller and 120v connection can be purchased on Amazon in gangs of 2, 3, or 4. So I bought a gang of 3 and a gang of 4 and connected them for a gang of 7. I wrapped the entire edge with 3/4" x 1" closed cell weather stripping. As you can see, they fit my window absolutely perfectly. The rack comes out easily if I choose, but I'm fashioning a thin board blank that will slide down in front of the fans for nighttime and when it's raining, or when the fans are off.

With the speed set at lowest point, I can just barely hear the fans and it will evacuate the room of all smell and smoke in about 15-20 minutes. If I turn the fans higher it does the job quicker. There is a good airflow coming in around bedroom door with it closed, along with pulling ambient air through the duct work, so there is no way for smoke or the smell of smoke to escape my room. I've been using it for 5 days and she said she hasn't smelled anything coming from my room, so mission accomplished! Total cost $100

IMG_0146[124].jpg

IMG_0147[126].jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
could be my imagination but looks like there should be some nice walking around there. Pretty cool. Though I feel like it's worth noting the person that doesn't like the smell of tobacco or whatever is going to be more sensitive then the smoker or equivalent. I guess when it gets the daughter seal of approval I'll say it works. Pretty neat idea.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It has more to do with how women "feel" that they smell smoke more than actual smoke. They will always smell smoke. Just go outside. Then again, they will smell it as soon as you walk indoor.
Nope. If I can't sit down and relax in a climate-controlled room to smoke my pipe, then I don't smoke it. No way I'd relegate that time to the outdoors. There is only about one month during the spring and a month during the fall where the weather is nice here, otherwise it's hot and humid or cold and damp, and I'm not smoking my pipe in either. IMO this hobby should be enjoyed under relaxing conditions, not hurry up and get back in the house conditions.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I use an old fashioned two blade window fan. As long as there’s negative pressure to the rest of the house
Right, but I only have to open the window 6".
Also, the fans are facing to the north, and I'm on the second floor of a two-story house. So, when the wind blows from the north it's directly into the fans, as it was yesterday at about 20-30mph when the front blew through. Meanwhile I just cranked the fans up to a little more than 1/2 power and there was no problem at all... they blew directly into the oncoming wind and continued to perform perfectly with a constant airflow movement exiting my room.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Gosh, guess I'll have to rethink Texas as a possible retirement destination. I must have visited during the good months!
I might have exaggerated a bit. The winters can be quite nice actually, but generally too cold for me to want to sit outside and smoke a bowl. The summers are hot and humid and start in April, May and seems like they last forever. I guess I just like sitting inside with my coffee or a drink and a bowl.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
For anyone who is interested in ordering these from Amazon, I just noticed that the product dimension and description for the gang of 4 is incorrect. It appears they copy and pasted the info for the gang of 2. Just double the length for the gang of 2 for correct length dimension.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I've got a couple of bathroom ventilation fans in my smoking room and a rubber door sweep on the door, all of which have worked acceptably. I found that burning the smoke eater candles that I get from smokingpipes really enhances the effectiveness of this little system.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I've got a couple of bathroom ventilation fans in my smoking room and a rubber door sweep on the door, all of which have worked acceptably. I found that burning the smoke eater candles that I get from smokingpipes really enhances the effectiveness of this little system.
These are much much quieter than bathroom ventilation fans! Like I said, I can barely hear them while standing right in front of them. In addition, I didn't want to block the crack at the bottom of the room door. I want the air to move into my room via the cracks and out of my room via the fans. This provides the best way to keep the room purged of smoke and smell. The fans need a source of air to evacuate. If the room is sealed off, they will not perform effectively.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I put in two fart fans in the overhead venting and at 300 cfm it does a real good job. It does make some noise however, but even with them both going I don't have to turn the TV sound up at all.

Reactions: monty55

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I run Austin Air Healthmate Plus air purifiers all day long, usually on high when I’m smoking, and they seem to work very well. This is with windows closed but if the weather permits, I’ll run an oscillating fan with the patio door open and the air purifier running as well. It’ll smell initially but within an half hour or so afterwards my wife says that there is no residual smell at all.

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
These are much much quieter than bathroom ventilation fans! Like I said, I can barely hear them while standing right in front of them. In addition, I didn't want to block the crack at the bottom of the room door. I want the air to move into my room via the cracks and out of my room via the fans. This provides the best way to keep the room purged of smoke and smell. The fans need a source of air to evacuate. If the room is sealed off, they will not perform effectively.
IMG_0832.JPG
Per your request, Monty. A work in progress. Monty's idea was great, and I am already being more appreciated in the house! ?