Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
I had often baulked at the part in one of the sherlock holmes stories where he talked about his breakfast pipe consisting of all the dottles from the day before, i thought that the next day, the tobacco would be absolutely foul.
purely by chance, i discovered that the next day, tobacco can be absolutely amazing.
I had set down a pipe in an ashtray, about half smoked, and forgotten about it. The next day, without thinking, i picked it up and relit it, not remembering that i had packed it the day before... The smoke that pipe afforded at that moment, was nothing short of breathtaking *if youll exclude the pun :D*
the tobacco had taken on a mellow richness that i had not experienced.
From that point on, i often have 2 pipes going, and sometimes more, setting them down, packing different pipes with different tobaccos, and mixing and matching. the pipes also seem to smoke alot drier since i have been doing this - i am extra vigilant cleaning the shanks tho and often swab with alcohol after every second smoke, as they are left effectively overnight before cleaning, but it hasnt soured them at all - in fact, i have been enjoying my pipes more than ever.
Anyone else smoke like this?

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Yep. I've heard it called "DGT" (Delayed Gratification Technique) in other places. I've found that it can really enhance what's in your pipe with some blends.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's pretty interesting.
Are you finding this to remain true with several different tobaccos?
I have tried it myself with mixed results. Sometimes it is good the next day and other times it is not in my experience.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Hi,
I've heard it called DGT on other forums too - I think I've done it a lot by accident during most of my smoking life though. I've rarely ever smoked a pipe all the way through in one go as I tend to get wrapped up in whatever I'm doing, load a pipe when withdrawal symptoms hit me take a few puffs and go back to whatever it was repeating the process throughout the day.
Leaving certain tobaccos (like Condor) too long in the pipe to dry out and relighting can bring tears to the eyes however!
Gerry

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I do this frequently. As with Kevin, I have had mixed results. Some blends really shine from DGT and others can turn quite foul. I find that, in my experience, Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends benefit the most from DGT and most Aromatics turn nasty from it.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Come to think of it, it does seem to work best with blends that tend to benefit from aging.

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
I would say that peters statement is accurate. I never smoke aromatics, so i cant comment there, but i would say that they would prolly not be that great the next day. what ive found is predominantly with va per or va/lat mixtures. emp, london, dorisco, nightcap = all these seem to be nice the day after... things like navy rolls, escudo, seem to be little different the next day, except to be increased in strength. this isnt a good thing for me... i find these tobaccos to be exceptional, but still a little strong for my daily smoke.
Im going to pack a bowl of std mixture in all 3 strenths over the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Tobacco blends with no chemicals or preservatives should be fine to light up the next day. Like a good cigar. Nat Sherman cigarettes are this way, because the don't have the nasty chemicals.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I routinely DGT Va's and Vaper's. Burley based blends don't work so well for me.

Typically, my last puff of the day is a charring light on a Vaper, and I set the pipe down for the night. Thus, the whole bowl is DGT'd and ready the next morning.

phage74

Lurker
Jun 27, 2009
I frequently finish bowls a day after. It is very similar to relighting in how it changes the flavor. I believe that the taste change, aside from the moisture change from sitting out, is mostly owing to relighting ash that went out. The ash is re-exposed to the flame of the lighter which is much hotter than the natural heat of a smoldering pipe. The ash is then relit in a way that it wouldn't otherwise. I have also tested scraping the ash of the top occasionally.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Sorry guys, but I just don't get the DGT.
I was smoking a bowl of McClelland Bombay Extra Personal Reserve and enjoying it quite a bit.
I was about 2/3rds done when I had to go out for about 3 hours.
So three hours later I just lit it back up and YUK! It is very harsh and bitter.
What am I doing wrong?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kevin, I've found that it's really a hit-or-miss thing, varying with blend and pipe. A DGT late in the smoke is rarely good for me. But if I intentionally DGT just after the start, it frequently improves Va.'s. So it could be the sugars at work too. I dunno.

I think a smaller diameter chamber works better too.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've routinely relight a pipe in the AM.

I have never been one for aromatics and never smoke one that is more than 1 night old.

I'm never awake enough in the morning to notice if its a bit rough or not.

I do smoke an apple baccy once't in a while, but I never leave any dottle in that pipe after I smoke it. Also, I have one particular pipe that I smoke the apple in, so it doesn't corrupt the others in the rotation.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Whenever I light a pipe that has been out for a long period, my wife always complains about the smell. Even with blends that she likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.