PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
It’s not the tobacco I’m worried about. It’s the inside and rim of the bowl I’m concerned. Will it absorb the water and ruin the pipe bowl?
In my opinion, as a briar pipe is.... briar... water would not have any appreciable effect on it. So, unless you have some exotic and non-waterproof finish on the pipe, there would be no effect. My pipes are natural or with a waterproof finish, and I never worried about any problematic effects of water on the pipe itself. The tobacco..... yes, in a torrential downpour it could go out.... but that was where the suggestion of turning the bowl upside down came in. Additionally, in a heavy rain, it is usually simple enough to “cup” the bowl with the palm of your hand to keep water out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It’s not the tobacco I’m worried about. It’s the inside and rim of the bowl I’m concerned. Will it absorb the water and ruin the pipe bowl?

Not in the least. More moisture is absorbed through smoking than in a hot water flush for 30 seconds. The reason? The moisture in the smoke is hot, and is in contact for as long as your smoke lasts.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think the biggest fear of hurting a pipe by smoking it in the rain would be if you smoked really super hot. O.k. the only time I've seen that problem is with people who could finish a large bowl in 20 minutes. Unless that's you I wouldn't worry about a little rain.

Well, it should never get super hot regardless of rain or other. If it make you feel better, I've dropped two lit pipes in a swimming pool with no ill effects other than putting the tobacco out and dottle in the pool.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Well, it should never get super hot regardless of rain or other. If it make you feel better, I've dropped two lit pipes in a swimming pool with no ill effects other than putting the tobacco out and dottle in the pool.
Hah! I have unfortunately done that once too!!! It was a bit embarrassing..... so, while I was red-faced.... the pipe was no worse for wear after drying out and a gentle cleaning. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No problem, pipe34!

Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat. Please introduce yourself in the forum for that purpose.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Exactly this, I use water to rinse out bowls on pipes I am restoring. I don't think a few raindrops will hurt.

These four pipes experienced a good washing in the dishwasher a year ago. Smoked fine the next day and continue to to so.

"The upside down pipe trick is interesting though!"

The first time I saw that I thought it was cool. The Professor walked out the door and turned his pipe upside down in one motion, as naturally as saying hello.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Don’t know about that I’m a Deploreable and a worker, when in the rain I was working, leaves you wonder about the Old Saying Fool doesn’t know to come out the rain. rotfpuffy

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I've always liked seeing the rain drops hit the top of the tobacco. A little splash, a little steam, a dark spot in the burn. A contest between man and nature to keep the fires lit.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.