PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've been smoking pipes since 2007 and have approximately 70 pipes. I've been on a pipe buying rampage this year and I've considered selling some of the pipes I don't smoke very often to offset some of the cost of my new purchases. I was reluctant to sell off these pipes for fear I'd regret doing so. I didn't "need" to sell these pipes to get new ones and ultimately chose to not sell them.

Because these pipes have been on my mind recently I've made it a point to smoke these rarely smoked pipes to remind myself why I bought them in the first place, and to reset the "time since I last smoked them" clock.

I'm glad I didn't sell them. It's been fun to revisit these old friends even though I may not smoke them very often in the future. Who knows, I may come around someday as my preferences change.

Thanks for listening.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I am going through the same thing right now. I went as far as listing some pipes on here and then packaging up about 25 to send to SP. I'm still sitting on that box about 2 months later... I just can't bring myself to let it go. I am planning to do one more cull of the herd and a final review of my boxed up pipes this week. After that I am going to let them go

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been smoking pipes since 2007 and have approximately 70 pipes. I've been on a pipe buying rampage this year and I've considered selling some of the pipes I don't smoke very often to offset some of the cost of my new purchases. I was reluctant to sell off these pipes for fear I'd regret doing so. I didn't "need" to sell these pipes to get new ones and ultimately chose to not sell them.

Because these pipes have been on my mind recently I've made it a point to smoke these rarely smoked pipes to remind myself why I bought them in the first place, and to reset the "time since I last smoked them" clock.

I'm glad I didn't sell them. It's been fun to revisit these old friends even though I may not smoke them very often in the future. Who knows, I may come around someday as my preferences change.

Thanks for listening.
It always makes me think of Lord of the Rings. I go to sell something, then change my mind. Why should I sell it? It's MIIINNNEE

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It must be the season. I've wasted a lot of time down a similar rabbit hole of sorting and grading my pipes. I resolved it by putting my five 'perfect for me' pipes in rotation with 2 alternates (near perfect for me). Then there are three pipes that have sentimental value for me. That leaves the rest to be dealt with at a later date because I have currently lost interest in dealing with them. Good Luck with your efforts.

Reactions: AroEnglish

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Thanks for listening.
I do this as well, from time to time, though not all of the pipes I own are intended to be smoked.
But something useful can also come of this. If you find any of those rarely smoked pipes not to be rewarding after reacquaintance you can feel free to move them on. Chances are pretty good that you won't remember them after they're gone. I did this with my art library, cut it by nearly 3/4. With the exception of a couple of those books, I don't remember the others.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've never seriously considered reducing my collection. In part, because I don't see a sensible way to decide on what the final number should be; 25, 35, 105, or 2 seems a bit arbitrary to me. Secondly, I bought them all for a reason(s), which still apply, I don't need the money and have room to store them. If I did sell them I'd spend the money on replacements.

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
The problem I have is that the price I would get for them is not enough to part with them. I have converged on what really is my regular rotation and the others I actually cleaned and boxed up. I don't need a lot of variety and my tastes don't change much, but I can't bring myself to sell a $100 barely used pipe to SP for $40 for example. Sunk cost fallacy; I know, but I can't get my head around it when it comes to my pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have often enjoyed smoking a pipe after a long lapse. I try to keep it a steady rotation of all my pipes, but my selection for each smoke is arbitrary.

I've had good experiences culling, too. I've donated pipes, given a few to a friend, and traded a number for store credit. So far, i haven't regretted any of that. By the time I cull a pipe, I've had it for at least several years and pretty well know if I enjoy it or not.

I like the store credit approach. I might get more for a group of pipes if I spent time selling them. However, getting rid of four or five pipes I don't enjoy toward one I do enjoy is satisfying.

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
I "only" have about 25 pipes - including a few cobs and basket pipes. I smoke 2-3 times a week. Some of the pipes get smoked a few times a year. But I agree just not worth selling them. I have found that my favorite pipes are my 5 Savinellis. Personally if I ever were to buy another pipe I doubt I'd spend more than 100 bucks or so.

I had a cousin who died around 80 yrs old. He had a collection of high-end pipes, probably 150 of them. His wife hated them. After he died, she just threw them in the trash. By the time I found out, they were gone.
So, if you have some nice pipes and are over 70, you might want to think about what happens to your pipes after you go to the great smoking lounge in the sky. Talk to your wife about them or designate their fate in your will. I know you can't tell your wife how much they are worth, but you can hint that they could represent some nice 'hat money' for her. If you don't want anyone to appreciate them after you are gone, then you might think about getting rid of the non-favorites now and pass them onto those who will.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had a cousin who died around 80 yrs old. He had a collection of high-end pipes, probably 150 of them. His wife hated them. After he died, she just threw them in the trash. By the time I found out, they were gone.
So, if you have some nice pipes and are over 70, you might want to think about what happens to your pipes after you go to the great smoking lounge in the sky. Talk to your wife about them or designate their fate in your will. I know you can't tell your wife how much they are worth, but you can hint that they could represent some nice 'hat money' for her. If you don't want anyone to appreciate them after you are gone, then you might think about getting rid of the non-favorites now and pass them onto those who will.
better then the guy who collected meers and his wife thought they looked dirty so she put them in dishwasher.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have my favourite pipes that I smoke in rotation but I have my treasured pipes that are in occasional rotation, then I have my rare pipes that I love to own but will never be smoked again, unless it's on my deathbed. :)

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I do this as well, from time to time, though not all of the pipes I own are intended to be smoked.
But something useful can also come of this. If you find any of those rarely smoked pipes not to be rewarding after reacquaintance you can feel free to move them on. Chances are pretty good that you won't remember them after they're gone. I did this with my art library, cut it by nearly 3/4. With the exception of a couple of those books, I don't remember the others.
I too did this with my art library, and recently my pipes. Went through my portfolio and sold anything I wouldn't frame or didn't feel I had to have anymore. It was hard at the time, but now I have no regrets. Same with culling my pipes. I sold off a dozen or so and put then towards 2 or 3 pipes i enjoy far more.
It's a necessary conundrum for collectors.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would try smoking them another time and get rid of them if they don't meet your expectations. There's no need to keep a pipe that isn't getting smoked IMHO. There are situations where pipes aren't on the rack because the tobacco you're smoking through isn't great for the pipe shape or size, which is different than a pipe that's an objectively mediocre smoker that permanently sits in a drawer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I too did this with my art library, and recently my pipes. Went through my portfolio and sold anything I wouldn't frame or didn't feel I had to have anymore. It was hard at the time, but now I have no regrets. Same with culling my pipes. I sold off a dozen or so and put then towards 2 or 3 pipes i enjoy far more.
It's a necessary conundrum for collectors.
A lot of that art library had outlived its purpose. A lot of it came about as the result of research for one or 'tother of the features on which I was working. Now that I'm nearing retirement, they are no longer needed. So I gifted them to the Brand Library in Glendale, an arts and music library, where they might be useful to other people, and kept just the ones that I enjoy on a personal level.
Eventually I'll start divesting parts of my pipe collection and cellar, I'll need to, as I'm currently buying furniture, and quality and comfort don't come cheap.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've got 62 pipes and have, on paper, narrowed down the 41 that will eventually go. There are definitely some I’ll revisit but others I know won't stay. Then there are others that I might miss conceptually but not actually.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I am going through the same thing right now. I went as far as listing some pipes on here and then packaging up about 25 to send to SP. I'm still sitting on that box about 2 months later... I just can't bring myself to let it go. I am planning to do one more cull of the herd and a final review of my boxed up pipes this week. After that I am going to let them go
I did this recently with about a dozen. Cleaned up the ones I knew were going and took some time to think on a couple fringe ones. Ended up getting two great pipes that will never be sold or traded while I’m alive for the store credit plus a tad extra. I had the box partially loaded for a couple of months before adding the last couple and sending it off. I hate the idea that those pipes wouldn’t get enjoyed.