PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
I have a new pipe, and was thinking about ordering a sampler,but would it mess up the flavor of the tobacco, and develop a weird cake flavor?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Only if you mixed different types. For instance, if you smoked an aromatic and went to an English, yes, you would definitely taste the aromatic. Same with Virginia's and then switching to English blends. If you are going to stick with aromatics or English only, then you would be OK.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i think anything is ok in a pipe except english, or those containing latakia, because they're so different. switching between burleys and aros and virginias in a pipe won't clash and make for a nauseating flavor, even if there's a bit of ghost for a couple bowls.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I wouldn't get yourself too worked up about it at first. If it's a new pipe, the briar hasn't had the chance yet to absorb any one particular flavor from any one particular blend. It's when you smoke a dozen bowls of some Latakia blend or a Kendal blend or heavily flavored blend in a pipe that you're likely to leave behind an unwanted taste.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I prefer to keep my pipes dedicated to a particular blend/style.
I keep a rotation of cobs for sampling purposes, particularly for latakia and aromatic blends.
You may find minimal interference at first, as Ted notes, but if you keep it up in my opinion you will just have a muddle of competing flavours in your pipe. I don't enjoy ghosting at all so take that opinion for what it's worth.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I own over 25 pipes and smoke multiple blends in one pipe. I clean my pipe more often, so the ghosting is not really a problem.

thextallxdude

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
Well, the pipe in question is a restored Garfinkel's, so It may or may not already end up having a ghost flavor, but I like to keep one pipe per blend (which doesn't mean much, as this is only my 3rd pipe)but I might end up keeping a spare pipe for sampling,thank you all for our contributions, I have learned quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.