pissed off so when i go back no more breakfast at my favourite

resturant

so be it for these dum laws

david(SCOTLAND)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
The U.S. laws would be a welcome breath of sanity from the lawmakers; were they to be implemented in Canada. In Vancouver, British Columbia, where I live, you cannot smoke:

1) Within 6 meters of any doorway, window, or air-intake

2) Within 6 meters of any bus-stop, or public bench

3) In any public-parks

4) Inside of any commercial building

5) Inside of your vehicle if you are travelling with a minor

6) All public venues (ie: stadiums, concert halls) are now 100% non-smoking. This means you cannot leave, and have a smoke, as you will not be let back in.
And that doesn't even touch on the ridiculous taxes we have to pay to enjoy tobacco (a tin that would run me $10 in he U.S. sets me back somewhere between $35 and $50 in Canada).

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Here in North Carolina the state has passed indoor smoking bans.They're in my opinion not only over the top,but illegal in that they include private business.As of now we can still smoke outside though.I understand that some places have even banned that.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Colorado passed a no indoor smoking law a while ago. The only place you can smoke indoors in Colorado is your house, if you don't live in a non-smoking apartment, or a place that sells tobacco like a B&M or cigar bar which have to have a certain percentage of income from tobacco sales. I agree that it is illegal to have a smoking ban on private property and I am surprised no one has challenged it in court.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
SHERLOCK is that law not an intrusion on a persons privacy

seems crazy these smoking laws they look at small issues

instead of the larger ones

david

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Cuz they're all a bunch of wussies. It's clearly illegal. I hope it gets the **** challenged out of it. What the hell are these lazy big tobacco giants doing? I'm not hereing anything about "BIG TOBBACO SUES USA IN COURT OVER UNCONSTITUTIONAL BAN ON PRIVATE PROPERTY!"
If there's a fight going on in a court somewhere I want to here about it. What are some sites I should bookmark and read frequently concerning the matter at hand?

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
baskerville, i can tell you that kalifornia smoking laws are some of the most screwed up in the country.... if it's tobacco.
in oakland pot smoking is encouraged by the masses and in many locations indores as well...

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
schmitzbitz they sound as screwed up as ours though we can smoke in doorways. the suits of mour country would die enmass if that was enacted. but everything is sorta the same. cept our tobacco goes up every three months regardless of inflation. they aretrying to tax it out of existence but all that happens is people just spend more. bloody stupid

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I personally think it should be up to each individual who owns a business whether or not they allow smoking. The "rational" for the law is that it is a health risk (and thus violation of their rights) for employees who work at places that allow smoking. The main targets for this law were bars because basically every other businesses didn't allow smoking inside any way, I.E. hotels, retail stores and the like. Bars fought the law, but lost. I don't have to explain to you all why this law is absurd. I think the truth is that the only industry that cared about this law were bars and they didn't really see a lot of loss of business like they thought they would. Most bar in Colorado didn't allow cigars and pipes any way so this law didn't change much for me. Individuals can fight but they need the financial backing of business which just doesn't exist in Colorado.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Oh, I also want to add that many smokers are just as anti-smoking as anybody else. We can never win this battle if we do not think that we should even be fighting it. I am not going to argue whether smoking is bad for you are not because it doesn't really matter. We are free to choose to live our lives in anyway we wish, even if we choose something that may not be healthy for us. If we are going to tax tobacco for "causing" so many death and disease we must also tax food companies that sell food with to much sugar, alcohol produces, power plants that use fossil fuel, automakers, sun tanning booths and a whole host of other industries that have been scientifically shown to cause health problems. Tobacco has gotten a bad wrap and has been vilified just like alcohol producers did before because some nut jobs don't like it. There are a lot of thing that are bad for us, but it is not up to the government, hospitals, health insurance companies, or our neighbors to say whether or not we are allowed to partake in them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Spartan asked
What are some sites I should bookmark and read frequently concerning the matter at hand?

Check out the left hand column of this page for some of the finest coverage available anywhere;

or do a "Search On Site" using keywords like legislation, anti, ban, nazi, etc.

PipesMagazine.com has a great track record for staying on top of tobacco legislation and smokers' rights.
ps. ...and the more you support PM.com's sponsors, the better, and more vocal, PM.com will become. :puffy:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
schmitzbitz they sound as screwed up as ours though we can smoke in doorways. the suits of mour country would die enmass if that was enacted. but everything is sorta the same. cept our tobacco goes up every three months regardless of inflation. they aretrying to tax it out of existence but all that happens is people just spend more. bloody stupid
Gotta love the Commonwealth, eh? We get the taxes too, albeit not quite as bad as you guys (I have family in NZ and Australia, all they ever want me to send over is Maple Syrup and tobacco). We're sitting at $10 a pack for "budget brands", $13 a pack for "premium brands", and anywhere between $25 and $50 for 50g of pipe-tobacco. Cigars range from $3 to...well...the sky is the limit.

Of course, this wouldn't aggrivate me as much if they didn't factor in the tobacco taxes before they factor in the General and Provincial Sales Taxes...taxing me on tax seems wrong.
So, tell me Sean, is it just like Canada in NZ; where there are still 14 buildings (restaurants, no less) that you can actually smoke in? Those being the 13 Provincial and Territorial legislature buildings, and of course, the Parliamentary buildings in Ottawa rounding out the 14th...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There is a county in Florida that has forbidden smoking by county employees, and will conduct nicotine tests in order to determine who is violating policy. Those personnel, including firefighters, EMS, and police are in danger of losing their jobs. The situation is running amok, my friends, this time in the pursuit of lower health care costs.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
RIGMEDIC that is some serious bullshit where those kind of demands are made

i for one would tell them to **** get them to fire me and sue them for labour

malpractice could get a nice package deal

get a defence council on pro bona it would be interesting

david

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
To answer your question schmitzbitz, if I may, no you may not smoke in Any public building Anywhere in New Zealand! This has been law since 2004. We pay:

RYO 30G NZ$32

Tailor Mades 20's: NZD13-17

Erinmore 50G: NZ$59
In the words of Shrek REDONKULOUS!! :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.