PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the good wife made me a nice smoking jacket from one of those vintage patterns.. kind of purple paisley with black collar and cuffs. I'll get pic over the weekend.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I've thought of getting a smoking jacket but being in New England weather tends to be quite different season to season. So I just wear whatever is suitable for where I'm smoking.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I've thought of getting a smoking jacket but being in New England weather tends to be quite different season to season. So I just wear whatever is suitable for where I'm smoking.
it would never cross my mind to wear a smoking jacket outside. it's for in the house or man cave.. a novelty for when folks come over or when I have Frank on the stereo.
a jacket I wear for smoking is whatever jacket I have on when I head outside.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I like those betabrand jackets but they're out of my budget.
I know, they are kinda neat. Alot for what it is though (and the amount that I'd likely use it)
Why do the betabrand jackets have to be reversible? Is that an asset?
I think it'd be useful. It gives it a little more usefulness, as you could wear it out in public and not look like a sleeze-bag, lol!
Hombre, THOSE are fancy. Look nice, but geeeze.
Goodwill, here I come :puffy:

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
There's this

http://www.etsy.com/search?q=smoking%20jacket&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto1

tiny

Lurker
Feb 23, 2013
I was about to order a custom (less than $400) jacket a couple of years ago, and when I find the link I will post it. Suddenly, after all of the research, I realized that I already had a closet full: Silk Robes! I know that doesn't help you much, but you can pick up a silk robe at a department store for less than $100.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you're looking for cheap then head to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. If you don't mind droppin' between $100-$200 I say hit up Scotch & Soda. They have a few mens jackets that would be good for smoking in.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
$30 jacket, suede leather robe style http://www.etsy.com/listing/123541112/vintage-70s-smoking-jacket-brown-suede?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=smoking+jacket&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all
This is so cool looking! I almost purchased it, but decided against it since it fits a small man and it is said to be probabley a medium. I am a large.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I actually didn't think the prices were that bad. What do I know.
They rival a suit jacket in price. I just can't afford to drop that on a jacket that I wouldn't use all that much (or maybe I would use it a lot, but only at home of course).
On the other hand, didn't you mention somewhere that you were a lawyer? Moneybags :P I kid...
On another note, I do work with attorneys for a living now, and may continue to do so after I get out of school!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This was my Grandfather's:
gps-smoking-jacket-full-450x600.jpg

gps-smoking-jacket-detail.jpg

:puffy:

May 31, 2012
dinnerjacket18763jj.jpg

This is a cool thread, I've been wanting to get a good smoking jacket but dammit most the ones I dig are in the astronomical price zone. If however I had $1,500 to spend on a great one, it'd no doubt be this spectacular example:

http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_472.htm
It's an explosion of psychedelia yet also understated enough to pull off in that laidback casual Jimi Hendrix sort of way. The quilting and button details are spot on too. Sadly, that jacket ain't nothin' but purple haze in my brain 'cuz my wallets like one rainy wish! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0E6fLJixUs

ads-smoker07.jpg

man-smoking-jacket.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, these old ads and illustrations for smoking jackets are primo. Also the improvisational version made out of a

shooting vest (?) or whatever. The old denim jacket makes a pretty fair smoking garment if you don't need

elegance, with a few good big pockets, sturdy construction, and middle weight enough for indoors or out.

But I like the old fancy-schmancy ones, paisley silk or whatever. I just don't think I'd have the presence of mind

to wear it when the impulse to have a bowl is fast upon me. My smoking attire seems to be whatever I have

on when I light up. My visions are of a taste, smell and auditory experience, not a vision of myself, however

Fred Astair.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
it would never cross my mind to wear a smoking jacket outside. it's for in the house or man cave.. a novelty for when folks come over or when I have Frank on the stereo.
a jacket I wear for smoking is whatever jacket I have on when I head outside.
I'll admit I've never worn silk or the like so I can't comment on how warm it is but ever when smoking inside (relegated to the laundry room) I want something warm. Then in the summer I don't want to wear something that will trap in heat. But again I'm not 100% on how breathable a smoking jacket is.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
If I need a Jacket to enjoy my pipe, I'd head to my local sporting good store. A shooters vest is amazing for holding pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.