PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
In fall and winter I use an old military fleece liner I was issued.

After coming to bed last night following a long porch smoke with heavy reading, my wife just said “you’re smelly.’

I THINK she meant body odor and clearly NOT tobacco smoke odor. ?. That’s gotta be it.

Otherwise-Time for a smoking jacket, summer version...?

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Smokies- I think we're all on board with what a smoking jacket is for. I take it you're a sweatpants and running shoes kind of guy. Nothing wrong with that.

I have also used google to have a look at what is out there, but what I was really looking for was some direct experience from actual users. Seemed like this would be the most likely source for real world experience.

A lot of it looks like costume wear, which unfortunately, is often very low quality.
I think at this point a smoking jacket has no utilitarian purpose, so it’ll be hard to find anything that’s not a costume.
Matching fabric slippers and a pince nez, or monacle at minimum would be required to complete the ensemble.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A lot of it looks like costume wear, which unfortunately, is often very low quality.
I too searched for a smoking jacket years ago, and came up with nada. Yes, in the days of Anti-Smoking most of what I found was costume party stuff.

If you don't want used, I think the way to go is ask your local tailor to make you one.

Reactions: kurtbob

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yes, but other than MSO does anyone have a smoking fez??!
I do, I’m actually wearing it as I type. When I’m smoking in my shop I wear it to keep my hair from getting smoky smelling. Works great. Doesnt everybody wear one?

My wife made it for me. Not vintage, but functional.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I do, I’m actually wearing it as I type. When I’m smoking in my shop I wear it to keep my hair from getting smoky smelling. Works great. Doesnt everybody wear one?

My wife made it for me. Not vintage, but functional.
I think men used to wear them for exactly this reason with hair oils being in common use the smoke would cling to a guy in the clubs and smoking rooms.

It’s kinda funny to think of a room full of gentlemen using “product” back then, but still.

Reactions: BROBS and bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think men used to wear them for exactly this reason with hair oils being in common use the smoke would cling to a guy in the clubs and smoking rooms.

It’s kinda funny to think of a room full of gentlemen using “product” back then, but still.
Yeah. But better than wearing shower cap to keep the smell out.

Reactions: BROBS

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While great in theory, I feel smoking jackets are a bit too pompous for most. Now I do love them, but not wearing one here alone at home.
However, if say there were a semi formal gathering of smokers, it would be quite welcome.
I did see several gents sporting them at the Chicago pipe show. Quite dapper indeed.

SmokyJoes

Lurker
Jun 14, 2022
Ju

Did you like Luxurobe? I bought mine from smokingrobe.com - still waiting for it....

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Lots of suit jackets and sport coats to be found at Goodwill or similar to choose from that can look nice enough to wear to a smoky environment and be acceptable for about $10 or so.
Functional.
And save the other $1,490 for tobacco...

Reactions: n_irwin and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoking jackets were in their heyday between the mid nineteenth century and maybe the 1940's. Dress among the well-off urban with country houses set was highly coded. There were stages of dressiness, up to black tie, and white tie, and tails, with endless rules about how, why, and where what was worn. The smoking jacket got worn in the evening, maybe over the trousers and shirt of a dressier outfit. It was supposedly a more relaxed attire, and some said it was to absorb the smell of the tobacco smoke so as to not have it permeate other clothing. It is costuming from a highly costumed epoch and strata of society. I was never a part of any of that, nor heir to it, but I do like get-ups, so enjoy the smoking jacket I have.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Smoking jackets are very nice and fit the user very well. But is seems kind of silly to purchase a separate jacket for smoking when you could get any kind of jacket and use it for that.

Reactions: Reggie