PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I’m sure there’s a thread about this somewhere, but I couldn’t find it on a quick search.

I’m wondering what it would take to smoke in one room of the house and not let the smoke smell spread. Obviously I would need to think about how this room is connected to others via central air. But what else? Would I have to install an external fan to vent? Get an air purifier? Anything else?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Bought one of these for the living room, turn it on when i go to bed, wake up turn it off and open a window to get fresh air in the room, works well and it's a cheap alternative to larger purifiers. And it's amazon if it doesn't work for you send it back

Reactions: JOHN72

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I smoke mostly indoors with the window open. Now that it's summer and damn near unbearable out, i use a small air purifier at times. Worst comes to worst a bowl of distilled white vinegar can also help keep the smell of smoke down. And as others have said, door definitely closed to help keep anything from wafting out.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I only do it when my sig other is away for a few days.
I close myself in the dedicated room and get to it.
It helps if you have some ventilation going, a standard fan with an open window seems to work just fine for me. But say after several hours, there's no hint of pipe tobacco smoke. And believe me when I say this, she's got a nose like a blood-hound.

Black & wet! rotf

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never smoked indoor after getting married. When I was much younger and my father smoked, I smoked in my room. At first with windows open. Then just smoked with or without windows open. It wasn't a big deal until I was moving to the new house after getting married. All my books and the clothes smelled like shit. Didn't really noticed it all that time since my father smoked and so did I. But that was cigarettes. I heard pipe smoke isn't as bad. But people who doesn't smoke has that bloodhound nose. They might be polite enough to ignore it and not mention it to you. But they know, and if they have a choice, will ask you to smoke outside. So, if it's just a formality, tell whoever lives with you they might notice it and you will use a fan with windows open. And they better not bring it up in you presence.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I smoke in a room during the day, window open, and when I’m in between breaks, or finished, I have a ceiling fan I blast on high, and the room always clears out really good.

At night I smoke in the living room, and to be honest, the next day I don’t smell anything, and of course I open all the windows, especially on windy days to air it out, and there are two ceiling fans which help.

Air purifiers are definitely good to consider, I had one in the past, but nothing at the moment.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The problem is, the smoke particles stick to surfaces, carpet, paint, wallpaper, hair and skin, hence the reek as the coating grows with your smoking. It probably won't be noticeable to you as it occurs so slowly. So vent as much as you wish, that'll slow the growth of the smell. But, visitors will notice it as may your family. The real estate agent will notice it immediately and suggest you mask with a teaspoon of vanilla on light bulb when you are ready to sell. The heat from the light will cause the area to fill with another smell to mask the reek when you are showing the house if you decide to move up or ... down. Great ventilation will mitigate the growth of the reek but, not stop it totally.

Again, the smell will not be very noticeable to you much if at all, much like your hair and clothes. If you have a mustache of course, you'll be able to enjoy the odor all day. Just wash it out before it gets too stale. rotf Your wife/girlfriend/significant other will remind you.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
I often smoke my pipe in the living room at night, it’s nice to sip on a pipe while watching a movie or TV show with the family.
I tend to stick to wife approved blends with a pleasant room note, like RLP-6.
No special air exchange besides the regular AC unit and an oscillating fan.
Any time I have noticed a residual aroma the next day, it is generally still pleasant and mostly just coming from my ash tray if I haven’t emptied it.
Cigars often leave a much stronger aroma, the few times I have smoked them inside, the only ones I might use again are Deadwood’s more aromatic offerings, and even those left a more noticeable room note, but my wife enjoys them so much that she insists I buy them two at a time any time I do, one for me and one for her, so I won’t get in any trouble over them.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I only smoke in two rooms at my home.

My study/office in the basement is my primary area. I have a dedicated exhaust fan, a dehumidifier & an air purifier in there. It still smells in there, but admittedly, I smoke like a freight train and it has carpet.

I also smoke in our living room area occasionally, but it's big enough it doesn't smell. I have a regular ceiling fan and crack the windows in there. It also has wood floors. I tend to smoke lighter blends up there out of respect for the rest of the family.