PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
An ozone/ioning air purifier is what you need my friend, something like the Alpine Living Air or it's chinese knockoff. I used to smoke all the time inside my one bedroom apartment back in the day. Me and my friends would smoke pipes and cigars all night long either watching spaghetti westerns or playing World Series Baseball on the Sega Saturn on Friday nights. In the winter it was fine, you could open up some windows and let the place air out. In the summer it was way to hot to open any windows. I remember waking up several Saturday mornings in a cloud of smoke that had lingered from the night before and being frustrated. Now this was from two or three guys smoking non-stop cigars/pipes for like 6 hours.
I had some TDY in Scottsdale, AZ and at the Village Smokeshop noticed like five old dudes puffing away on cigars in the small lounge but there was no cloud, no strong smell. I noticed that they had an Alpine Air. When I was back in New Orleans, I noticed the same thing at a cigar shop back in the cigar boom. They had a card for a salesman but it was some mid level marketing thing where the devices were really expensive so I went online to find one. This was in '97 or so. Got one for about two bills.
The air purifier is flat out awesome. We would have an all night B-movie/video game smoking session and like maybe 30 minutes after everyone left, you couldn't even tell people where smoking in my apartment. There was no cloud, no odor. It worked great. I still have the machine and now it looks like there is a cheap chinese knockoff.
The ionizer makes dust and smoke particles fall out of the air and the ozone kills any smells. The machine uses these glass plates with a metal grid to make the ozone and you have to clean those in ammonia every couple of months if it sees heavy action. After a couple of years the ozone plates are exhausted. My machine came with 3 and most recently I bought the chinese plates on amazon, so the chinese apparently made a clone.
My recommendation for your smoking room is to either score an Alpine Air/Ecoquest machine on eBay or its chinese clone and simple smoke with the door closed so the smoke doesn't get a chance to spread to the rest of your house. Also you should leave the machine running but turn down the ozone until you actually start smoking. A big deal is having the ions in the air before you start smoking to make the smoke settle out. If you wait until you start smoking it will take longer to clear. If the ozone is cranked up with nothing to clean, the air will smell like bleach and be annoying plus I think too much free ozone is bad for you. The machines I'm talking about claim to be able to treat 3500 sq. ft. I've seen smaller units but think the 3500 sq ft. size to be the minimum. The ozone output on these is variable plus you can turn it off. This was a great investment. You'll have no trouble having an apparently smoke free 20x15 smoking room.
AnchovyD

I live my life a bowl at a time.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I actually have a very nice smoking room. The way the A/C is set up, there is no air return in that room, so, just a couple of inches open on the window and the smell of a pipe never gets past the door. Now and then I'll burn a smoke eater candle, but it's rarely necessary. [And note, I smoke essentially NO aromatics -- lat bombs and full English mostly.]
I do draw the line with cigars, though. Although I like a cigar now and then, those are for the patio or the range. Somehow that smoke seems to create a more lingering and unpleasant smell.
den6_zps095239cd.jpg

den2_zps258849d0.jpg

den3_zps519158a1.jpg

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I smoke pipes in my living room, window behind the sofa cracked with a mini fan blowing outward, and a field expedient air cleaner (box fan attached to ultra fine A/C filter rated for smoke) running. Silly looking but it gets the job done, one day I'll invest in a real air filter unit. Thing is when I entertain I've been told by both smoking and non-smoking friends that they absolutely can't tell that anyone has been smoking inside. The same can't be said for when I've tried cigars inside, so I always take my sticks out to the porch and the humidor sits mostly untouched during the winter. As for my walls/windows/upholstery/curtains, I'm sure they must all be covered in a layer of smoke particulates but I myself can't see or smell any trace, even so I clean in there pretty regularly.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Generally I smoke outdoors in the garden or on the patio. If the weather is inclement, then naturally I'll smoke indoors, but I'll always have a window or the back door open, unless it's blowing a gale or torrential rain. I don't like stale tobacco smoke smells. A Lampe Berger does the trick for me if the room needs freshening up.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'd not heard of a Lampe Berger. I looked it up. Is it just an air fragrance device? I've been using Febreze air spray. Is the Lampe Berger a better choice? I see they aren't expensive.
I'm in an apartment and smoke in the main room. When I come home I can just sense the tobacco smell outside the door in the hall, so I shoot a spurt outside my door. I'm smoking Lat blends.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a smoking room/den. It was a 3rd spare bedroom I converted. I have all my favorite stuff in there and smoke in there and the living room. People love the way the room smells, like pipe tobacco and I use a fan and a window fan to circulate air.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@maxx

Lampe Bergers are catalyst lamps that purify the air molecules around them. I really like them as well.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Interesting...i'd like to hear about more people on the Lampe Bergers.

I have a study I smoke in about once a week. I installed a fairly high powered exhaust fan. The cool thing is that the exhaust fan is at the end of my porch, so there is quite a long bit of ducting before the motor is placed. So when I run it there is a slight hum and you can hear the air flowing out. It is not 100% smoke free but reduces it quite a bit. I don't have leather chairs yet, but leather chairs are traditional in smoking lounges because the don't pick up the smoke as much as fabric does.

My friends had the living air purifiers about 10 years ago, but it seems that they had endless problems with them functioning correctly.

indyjg

Lurker
May 10, 2013
I smoke indoors exclusively in one spare bedroom that I use as an office/smoking den. I have had a Dynamic CT-500 Smokeeater air purifier for over 2 years now that really helps cut down on the smoke and associated odors.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
It's my house, and I smoke in it when I want to. I don't have any air cleaners, nor do I open the windows when it's cold, in fact I prefer to allow the smoke to collect, because I enjoy the sight of the thick, hazy cloud which accumulates. I do run the ceiling fan if I've been smoking for several hours, just to be sure that I get a little fresh oxygen (the house isn't sealed). The carpets, the furniture, the paint on the walls, and the ceiling all stink of Latakia, but it's my house, and I'll be here until I die. If I ever meet another woman who would love me like my late wife did, then she'll just have to love my pipes too. :puffpipe:

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Is the Alpine Air AP300 a good choice? I need filtration.

http://www.alpineairproducts.com/?action=Products&Product=373&PHPSESSID=5uivps8ame63e2uflglgg1ete1

Status
Not open for further replies.