PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I'm in DC for a couple of days, up here from Florida. Not sure what the smoking laws are up here--where's a good tobacco shop or any other good place where smoking a pipe is permitted? I'm staying up Connecticut Ave near the zoo, but I know my way around DC pretty well.
Jeff

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Georgetown Tobacco in Georgetown has a nice smoking lounge, great folks. They have been around a long time and I am proud to say I was an employee there when I was in college. :puffy:
Head over to John B Hayes if you have wheels. They're in Fairfax.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
John B Hayes in Fair Oaks Mall, Georgetown Tobacco - 3144 M St. NW, W. Curtis Draper - 699 15th St. NW, Old Virginia Tobacco Co. - (2 locations) - Pentagone City 1100 South Hayes St. Arlington and 6397 Seven Corners Center Falls Church VA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For smoking a pipe, I'd avoid the formal park areas, the national mall, and such. Last I was there,

the sidewalks seemed okay, and there may be little green areas where no one is monitoring smoking.

Georgetown Tobacco sounds pretty nice. If I have a chance, I'll check that out next trip.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Local here.
Light up wherever you want, no outdoor smoking ban in DC unless it is specifically labelled. The Mall and around all the monuments are all great to smoke and contemplate the views. You'll find a few small "courtyard" gardens/patios immediately next to some of the Smithsonian museums labelled as non-skoking.
Second the recommendations on Old Georgetown Tobacco and Drapers. Old Virginia is fine, but they are a lot more cigar-centric now. Both Old Georgetown and Draper have some fantastic house blends, which you're free to sample in the stores. Try the Shenandoah Blend at Georgetown and the JWC Blend at Drapers. If you want other recommendations from these two, just ask.
Old Georgetown has the better pipe selection, Draper sells more blends, but many of Drapers blends are just commercial bulk re-labels.
Taxes on pipe tobacco in DC are low, and just a bit higher than Virgina currently, but that will change Oct. 1 when the DC tobacco tax goes up 80%, so if you sample a blend you like, buy some now!

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
First, thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks for the invitation, brass. Now that I know you're up here, I'll give you some advance notice next time.
I left the Washington Hilton on Connecticut Ave. this morning, headed for Georgetown Tobacco, intending to take the bus, but then decided to walk instead, from Dupont Circle and P street, all the way to Wisconsin Ave. I lived up here in the late 60's and early 70's, so I was interested to see how things had changed.
The shade of P street and the old houses looked the same--a pleasant trip through the past. But when I got to Wisconsin Ave, and then M street, I saw the stark difference. In the 60's you could fine lots of good music clubs like the Crazy Horse and my favorite, the Cellar Door (there will never be another place like it) where in the early seventies I could see everyone from Peter, Paul, and Mary, to John Prine, to Bonnie Raitt (I actually got to hold the door open for her, and she smiled at me and said "Thank You", boom went my heart) to Neil Young and Miles Davis. I knew these places were long since closed, but I had to walk them and ride the memories for a few minutes.
With all of the changes, I decided Georgetown had become very boring since the 60's. No head shops blaring The Doors' music into the streets, no stores where you could find records by everyone from Son House to Sopwith Camel, no flower stands on the corners, no freaks on the sidewalks asking if you wanted to buy some illegal substances (I don't miss some parts, I guess). Now it's mostly just designer clothes shops and some restaurants like you can find in most cities.
Further down M street, just past Georgetown Tobacco, I couldn't pass up the temptation to intentionally jaywalk, just for fun, in the same place I once got a ticket for jaywalking in the early hours one Sunday morning (that's another story).
Inside Georgetown Tobacco the guy behind the counter was most cordial and invited me to help myself to any samples I wanted to try, and to pull up a chair and stay as long as I liked. I left with a couple of ounces of Old Georgetown blend and head uptown toward a guitar shop up beyond the zoo that turned out to be a disappointment, but it was worth the walk by Washington National Cathedral and through Woodley Place. I finished the afternoon with a smoke outside the Hilton while I waited for my wife to end her day at the conference. Now I've got to decide where to have dinner in this strange city that was once familiar to me. More hiking tomorrow!

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
ssjones--Yes, we tried the Spy Museum last time and found the same situation.

dcguy

Lurker
Aug 12, 2014
You can check out Civil Cigar Lounge and Retail at Wisconsin and Military, right at the Friendship Heights Metro station. It is run by Drapers and some Bar/restaurant guys. They have an air system that replaces the air every couple of minutes, so you don't end up smelling terrible.
They have a cigar steward that works the extended weekend. He is pipe smoker as well, and can discuss blends talk pipes with you.
Also, if downtown, Shelly's Backroom also allows pipers, though no air-replacement system:)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
If you're heading up to NYC, I'll let you know that I got busted by a police officer this past Saturday night for sitting on a park bench, smoking my pipe. I thought of saying, "hey, it's only tobacco," but the NY cops kill people for talking back to them, so I quietly said "yes, sir," and put my pipe out.

Status
Not open for further replies.