PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
The thing about the Northeast is those days (weeks) where the temp never gets out of the 20s. I smoked a lot less in the winter when I lived in NY.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Beautiful house, Aquadoc. I'm with those who say "just smoke inside." It's hard to beat a pipe and whiskey by the fire on a cold day.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'm glad my ladyfried enjoys the smell of tobacco, even Gaslight. I smoke indoors when weather is nasty.
If things were differet I'd build a cozy 10x12 man-cave or istall high end filters in a basement room. I smoke a pipe to relax. It's pretty hard to relax while being out in the frezzing cold. Thats for cig smokers who need their fix.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'm in upstate NY on the side of a mountain. It gets spectacularly cold. I smoke in the garage, I need to seal it up a little better and will eventually add heat. I smoke inside very rarely, usually on Christmas and when, like last year, the temperature decided to stay below zero for a week. But I frequently enjoy a pipe in the car as I commute 50 minutes each way. I try not to reduce my smoking through winter but it does happen sometimes.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
This is a reference to the TV program "Game of Thrones".
People-Who-Could-Night-King-Game-Thrones.jpg

il_570xN.1615528834_zht8.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
You guys and your cold weather temperatures are helping me to even further appreciate our moderate southern Indiana winters where the temperatures rarely dip below 20 degrees, and rarely stay below freezing for any prolonged period. I spent 7 years in Chicago, and every winter had to endure prolonged stretches where the temperature hovered not so far above zero... never again!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Fortunately I love my home and my mountain, or I would hate the winter. It can be brutal, but I also appreciate the cooler summer. I have been in southern Indiana at the wrong time before, and I would not survive some of the summer weather. My family vacations outside of Coal City and we pushed the trip back a month after a few brutal summers.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Fortunately I love my home and my mountain, or I would hate the winter. It can be brutal, but I also appreciate the cooler summer. I have been in southern Indiana at the wrong time before, and I would not survive some of the summer weather. My family vacations outside of Coal City and we pushed the trip back a month after a few brutal summers.
I've never been to New York, but when I lived in Chicago, we took a lot of trips to the North Woods in Wisconsin and Michigan. I've also been to Vermont, once when I was little. I love the north country and will definitely be back to visit. You're right about some of the southern Indiana summertime temperatures... I like to spend those days in my canoe on a local spring-fed river with a cooler full of beer, a few cobs, and a pouch of Carter Hall. Great swimming weather, but miserable when it's time to do yardwork.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
You guys and your cold weather temperatures are helping me to even further appreciate our moderate southern Indiana winters where the temperatures rarely dip below 20 degrees, and rarely stay below freezing for any prolonged period. I spent 7 years in Chicago, and every winter had to endure prolonged stretches where the temperature hovered not so far above zero... never again!

My daughter is a 9th grader and wants to attend college somewhere warm. I'm all for it and in fact, plan to go with her. I wonder if they'll allow an old pipe smoking coot to reside in the dorms. Any case, my days (years) here are numbered.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Wool fingerless gloves are really nice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MGBR6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AI6HXDF3QWCK3&psc=1

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I'm in upstate NY on the side of a mountain. It gets spectacularly cold. I smoke in the garage, I need to seal it up a little better and will eventually add heat. I smoke inside very rarely, usually on Christmas and when, like last year, the temperature decided to stay below zero for a week. But I frequently enjoy a pipe in the car as I commute 50 minutes each way. I try not to reduce my smoking through winter but it does happen sometimes.
One year my friend and I went upstate to go snowmobiling in February. A little town called Lowell(?), north of Utica. It was really beautiful there, but the almanac said their annual snowfall average was 36 FEET. All I know was that it was around zero in the morning with highs around 13-15. Thankfully there were a lot of bars around the trails to stop and get something to warm you up.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
1. Dress warm

2. Use your bowl to warm your hands

Alternatively;

3. Get rid of your significant other and light up in the house.

Jun 4, 2014
I smoke in my basement workshop during the winter months. When the wife complains I open up the Bilco door and turn on the old box fan I keep in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.