PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
As a fairly new pipe smoker I am amazed at the differences in hot the bowls get with my different pipes. Loaded identically and smoked at the same pace, some really get hot(too hot) while others do not. I am assuming that it is simply a difference in the brier,and that I will just have to learn to smoke those that heat up more slowly. Am I on the right rack?

Thanks,

Bowhatchie

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
I find that some pipes take to tobaccos differently. As I note what effect the tobacco has on the pipe, I adjust accordingly. Some pipes take require a different approach when filling and tamping than others, while some like flake more, and some are just might be poor smokers. As one begins the journey through different blends they may find one cut or style of blend begs for a certain pipe. This is part of the fun, I guess, of the hobby. When one finds the perfect match it is nirvana.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Bowhatchie and welcome to the forums. A while back, the site Moderator, Pstlpkr (aka Lawrence) mentioned

that the grain may play a significant role in heat dissipation, with the esthetically pleasing vertical straight

grain being most efficient. We may have to wait for a post from him for a complete refresher on the topic.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm touched Cortez.... :)
I have no scientific evidence for the straight grain vs. cross grain heat dissipation only personal observation.

It may have something to do with the easier migration of heat waves up the grain as opposed to across the grain.

Then again I may be FOS.

It could also have something to do with the size and/or location of the draft hole, and it's ability to facilitate or restrict combustion. I personally think that a freer flow of air will help in keeping the temperature of the ember lower and allowing for a slower-cooler smoke.

And, then again the thickness of the walls of the bowl and the insulating properties of the briar will directly affect the external temperature of the bowl.
My two best pipes a 5C Claudio Cavicchi Bent Volcano and an Ascorti New Line both have perfect straight grain, and relatively thin bowl walls, and rather large draft holes. Neither pipe ever gets hot.

My Peterson System 307 has cross grain and fairly thick walls and a comparitively smaller draft hole does get quite warm to the touch. (No offense to you Pete guys.)

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Well damn! I thought he was commenting on my photo!
beerbelly.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sorry for the slow response. I was out driving around when some bozo paying more attention to his pipe

than to traffic stepped right in front of my car, and froze! Scared the poo out of me. So I had to stop in at

the local gin mill and settle my nerves before coming back online.
Here's the old thread.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
My thanks to all for the input...and I guess even the horrible picture of the beer belly!

the thread that had already run... was most informative..again my thanks.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
bowhatchie,
I'm late on this issue, and may not have any insight, but it wasn't clear to me if you are smoking the same tobacco in all your pipes.
You did say
Loaded identically and smoked at the same pace
but just to clairify; Are you smoking the same tobacco in your all your pipes or are you smoking different tobaccos?

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Menckenite,
thanks for the reply..... I do routinely smoke about three different tobaccos... but I have pipes reserved for each of the 3... and I experience different degrees of heating in all the groups..... It just concerned me that several.. really get hot and they are smoked at the same pace and loaded the same way.... I am coming to the realization.. that some pipes for whatever reason..( many mentioned) in the string.. are just going to smoke hot..

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree that certain pipes do smoke hotter than others for reasons unknown to me but I have experianced some tobaccos smoking hotter than others in the same pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.