PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Samuel Gawith flakes tend to be wet with a capital "W" so it's pretty normal for them to require very frequent relights! Normally when I smoke flakes I like to rub them out between my fingers to about ribbon cut consistency, maybe a little finer, then let the tobacco sit out until it's quite dry but not quite crispy and still has some springiness left. For most blends that takes 15 minutes to half an hour depending on the time of year and indoor humidity (longer in the summer when it's more humid) but Samuel Gawith blends always seem to take twice the amount of time to dry as anything else.

Dry it until you think it's ready, then give it another half hour of dry time before packing it to be on the safe side. Even rubbed out and dried then packed loosely with the 3 pinch method I find that Samuel Gawith blends still require frequent relights, it's just kind of the nature of the beast with that company's tobaccos, so just take your time sipping your pipe and relight as necessary. It's normal for SG stuff.

Reactions: Relax62