Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
So, I’m only a little over a year into pipes and have learned so much, but still a long way to go, which has prompted me to seek advice/tips.

A few months ago I really started enjoying flakes and things went well (although I never really caught on to the fold and stuff method). I recently had about a two to three week period where I had very little time to enjoy my pipe. Just recently things have been less hectic and was so excited to pick up where I left off, and was fortunate enough to pick up a few tins of FVF, and 1792. I love them both, along with Irish Flake and a few others.

So here’s the problem… I can’t seem to keep my pipe lit, or I get it too hot try to puff too much (which I know is against everything I’ve read). I’ve tried different pipes, different moisture levels and still can’t keep it lit. Don’t get me wrong… I’m accustomed to a few relights, but I’m having to re-light so often that the pipe and tobacco are still getting too hot and then there goes all the flavor that I so enjoy. In addition, I’m spending more time with the mechanics of it all that I’m not getting the enjoyment and satisfaction that I was.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m determined to figure this out and getting back the relaxing, wonderful tasting smokes that I remember just a few months ago before like got so hectic.

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!!!

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Pretty much every problem I've ever encountered in this part of the spectrum was solved by ample dry time and lighter packing. I'm at the point now where I like my VAs dry to a level of crispy that might cause some to think I should get thrown in the loony bin. Not that I'd want to drag you in there with me (I think smoking is prohibited there), but whatever works, right? :LOL:

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have the same problem, I cannot keep a flake lit to save my life. Cube cutting has been the answer for me. Snip that flake to a bunch of little cubes and load it up. It keeps the integrity(?) of the blend in a way rubbing out doesn't. It still takes its fair share of butane to get going, but they tend to stay lit better.

As always, boilerplate YMMV statement.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
SOME flakes are more difficult than others.
Maybe get something like Peter Stokkebbye Luxury Navy Flake to practice the fold and stuff. This tobacco comes MUCH drier than those very moist Gawith blends.
But, it is possible to get FVF to smoke without drying it out.
Some like it better dry, but drying does change the flavor.
Cube cutting and rubbing also changes the flavors.
You can fold and stuff 2 flakes in a large pipe.
But, only 1 flake if rubbed out.....see where the flavors might change?
The best way to get wet flake to burn is to pack it very loose.
Take maybe 1/2 of a flake, fold it in half and PUT it in your pipe....don't STUFF. Make sure there is some room around the edge. This way, as the flake ignites, it expands out a bit and has the ability to dry out.
Then just lightly tamp and relight until it gets going.
Over time you will be able to pack the pipe a bit more full, until you nail it.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I'm fortunate to have found an ideal flake pipe for SG flakes. I tear a chunk of fresh across the grain, fold and ram it in as tight as it will go, check draught. If good, three charring lights and leave it for a few minutes, then go for ignition. It seems to be ok after that, maybe one relight if I fall off it. Best flavours.

I used to tear these flakes down to little bits and they were a fine smoke, but ram jam no dry gets me next level enjoyment. Pipe is a Peterson Cara 406.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
FVF and 1792 are somewhat special cases as to being difficult to get/keep lit. I typically tear the flakes in half cross-ways, rub out and let dry out, typically in excess of 30min and maybe up to 24 hrs. Pack lightly as mentioned then tamp carefully (lightly) as required.

Some other good Va based flakes to try are PS LNF as mentioned and also GLP Union Square. Both are much better 'behaved' than FVF.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you're puffing and the pipe is getting hot, generally from packing too tight or too loose. It's it drawing hard or no opposition at all? Also, keep in mind, if you pack moist Flakes, they will expand and make for a tight draw.

I smoke Flake almost exclusively and all of it fold and stuff, no rubbing out. I think the key is to pack it reasonably firm but manage to leave a little space at the bottom of the bowl. If the draw tightens up, use the rod on your pipe tool, run it down on the hole side of the bowl and wiggle it around a bit while drawing on the pipe. When you feel it loosen up, you're good. You may need to run a pipe cleaner through as well.

I hope that helps.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find a few things if I let the flake really dry so it snaps and doesn't fold it will stuff and smoke great. And using a soft flame or match or zippo really over doing the char light and creating a huge ember seems to help it keep going . IF you have questions about char lights then ask.
The second half should have said if the flake isn't totally dry to the point of thinking it's dead then over charge the initial lighting

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It’s sacrilege to many, but mostly I’ll twist ‘em to loosen them up, chop ‘em about 1/4” long, lightly rub, then pulse them through an electric herb grinder a couple ounces at a time. Drop it all in a jar with the lid off until dry to where I want it, then cap and smoke from that until it’s time to refill.
But I have the palate of a goat, and uneducated baby goat-YMMV

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
If you're puffing and the pipe is getting hot, generally from packing too tight or too loose. It's it drawing hard or no opposition at all? Also, keep in mind, if you pack moist Flakes, they will expand and make for a tight draw.

I smoke Flake almost exclusively and all of it fold and stuff, no rubbing out. I think the key is to pack it reasonably firm but manage to leave a little space at the bottom of the bowl. If the draw tightens up, use the rod on your pipe tool, run it down on the hole side of the bowl and wiggle it around a bit while drawing on the pipe. When you feel it loosen up, you're good. You may need to run a pipe cleaner through as well.

I hope that helps.
Thank you! I’ve been primarily smoking flakes for a few months, but seems after taking a couple of weeks away from smoking, due to a crazy schedule and having a bad cold, I’m unable to repeat the enjoyment that got me hooked on flakes to begin with. I’m definitely not packing too tight… I’m getting a very open draw… maybe packing too loose? Also, I could probably extend the dry time on some of my flakes, but don’t want to diminish the flavor… guess it’s a balance.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I find a few things if I let the flake really dry so it snaps and doesn't fold it will stuff and smoke great. And using a soft flame or match or zippo really over doing the char light and creating a huge ember seems to help it keep going . IF you have questions about char lights then ask.
The second half should have said if the flake isn't totally dry to the point of thinking it's dead then over charge the initial lighting
I don’t believe I’m getting a good char light based on several comments, and could probably dry a little longer. I did notice that I tend to lose some flavor if I dry it took much, but I’m certainly willing to try it again! Thanks!

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Don't pack too tight. I fold a typical European made flake (like Dunhill Flake) and then twist it pretty vigorously. A lot of the flake falls away as I mash it up but that's ok. I almost fully rub it out but not quite. There is still some structure. Leave some of the flake that falls away out and put it back in the jar for next time. The key is to not over pack.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don’t believe I’m getting a good char light based on several comments, and could probably dry a little longer. I did notice that I tend to lose some flavor if I dry it took much, but I’m certainly willing to try it again! Thanks!
Big ember and then let it cool and spread the charred outevenly. Even worked stuffing fresh Ennerdale. also to cheat a bit put a layer of really dry shag or small ribbons on top.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I don't have problems with flakes. I actually really enjoy them and for a long time preferred them. At first i rubbed them out, which is the simplest solution. However, my technique at this point is to roll them longwise, fold in half, gently twist back and forth a couple times and then carefully stuff them into the chamber so the grain is going with the flow of air. Once they're down to the bottom you can pack the top edge fairly tight if it's a VA (and on the drier side) w/o any issues. I then will take whatever fell off from the gentle twisting action and top the bowl with that. Light and puff away. Sometimes, if the bowl is deep, i'll actually do the above, then add a small cannon ball before putting the other pieces on top for tinder. Works for me, 99.9% of the time.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
The fold, twist and insert technique works well with flakes and coins. Incompletely rubbing out the flake—so it's loosened up but not reduced to ribbons—makes it well behaved while retaining its special qualities.

Reactions: Relax62