New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfriar

Can't Leave
More Masonic history involving pipes records the smoking of coltsfoot.

Two hundred years ago, there was a Freemason who proved to be vital to the success of the new United Grand Lodge of England. A book I’ve come across says Peter Gilkes “was a great smoker, and averaged thirty pipes of tobacco and coltsfoot daily.”

“When quite blackened by use,” it continues, “it was his habit to present the pipes, for which he had no further occasion, to his favorite pupils, by whom, it is said, they were much prized.”

A Google search yields a lot on coltsfoot, an herb with medicinal benefits that can be smoked or taken as a tea.

Any herbalists out there with firsthand experience?

Jay

Attachments

• 2FC05400-DB4D-43C8-A451-38AF3700CABB.jpeg
    2FC05400-DB4D-43C8-A451-38AF3700CABB.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: chopper

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I thought he was a southerner who also enjoyed pickled pig feet.
MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good stuff. Also piclked pork hock...
Hormel Pork Hocks Jar

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
More Masonic history involving pipes records the smoking of coltsfoot.

Two hundred years ago, there was a Freemason who proved to be vital to the success of the new United Grand Lodge of England. A book I’ve come across says Peter Gilkes “was a great smoker, and averaged thirty pipes of tobacco and coltsfoot daily.”

“When quite blackened by use,” it continues, “it was his habit to present the pipes, for which he had no further occasion, to his favorite pupils, by whom, it is said, they were much prized.”

A Google search yields a lot on coltsfoot, an herb with medicinal benefits that can be smoked or taken as a tea.

Any herbalists out there with firsthand experience?

Jay
@briarfriar I'd like to give it a go in my clay pipes; I read on one website to dry the leaves for at least a week and then crunch them up.
Do you know anyone who has tried smoking coltsfoot?
I once tried a leaf in one of my clays but don't think I dried it out enough...

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Here's a bunch of things to try, with or without a tobacco base. I have tried mugwort mixed into tobacco, and don't find any problem with it. But I also didn't find anything fabulous either.

I'm a guy whose sense of taste is very far from "World Class." It's probably not even "Town of Greene Class" (pop. 4309).

Attachments

• Herbal Smoking Mixtures.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 10