PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve read in Manchester’s “The Last Lion” that Winston Churchill had a manservant who daily gathered Winston’s cigar butts and smoked them in his pipe.

I’ve found it’s a good way to get that last dying quiver out of a quality hand rolled cigar. Clip off a half inch or so with a sharp knife and hand rub it so it loads and smokes.

It’s the same basic taste and experience as the cigar was.

Hobos have lived high on cast off stogies forever.

Enjoy

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I don’t smoke cigars, but as someone who loves air cured tobacco, I’ve often wanted to try cigar tobacco in a pipe—varieties more exciting than the “chopped cigar leaf” c&d offers. I look at whole leaf but hesitate to buy pounds of the stuff

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I’ve read in Manchester’s “The Last Lion” that Winston Churchill had a manservant who daily gathered Winston’s cigar butts and smoked them in his pipe.

I’ve found it’s a good way to get that last dying quiver out of a quality hand rolled cigar. Clip off a half inch or so with a sharp knife and hand rub it so it loads and smokes.

It’s the same basic taste and experience as the cigar was.

Hobos have lived high on cast off stogies forever.

Enjoy
It is indeed nearly an age-old process, appearing most notably during wartimes. (Stalin himself used to mash up discarded cigarette butts and pipe 'em. And they weren't great cigarettes, either.) But given the man's taste, Churchill's seconds may have tasted better in a pipe than cheap tobaccos.

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I don’t smoke cigars, but as someone who loves air cured tobacco, I’ve often wanted to try cigar tobacco in a pipe—varieties more exciting than the “chopped cigar leaf” c&d offers. I look at whole leaf but hesitate to buy pounds of the stuff

Try this one. The black Cavendish in this blend is made from cigar leaf and in my opinion you'll not find a more cigar-forward pipe blend. I say this because it was too much leaf for me, but I couldn't knock the quality.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Try this one. The black Cavendish in this blend is made from cigar leaf and in my opinion you'll not find a more cigar-forward pipe blend. I say this because it was too much leaf for me, but I couldn't knock the quality.

This is a great tobacco for me. I’m all over the place on flavor. I like variety so this definitely scratches an itch for me. Actually I’m not sure I have had a warped that I didn’t like. The Haunting, The King Stride, and Until the End being the 3 I have had that have cigar leaf in them.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just remember: short, but not too big around.
And two hours of pushin’ broom

Buys an eight by twelve four bit room

(I stayed overnight at the Muelbach Hotel while a high school freshman in 1973 in downtown Kansas City, The price of a flop house just down the street had risen from fifty cents to $1.25, Each year or two the management repainted the price until urban renewal spared the Muelbach and the YMCA became the only option for a travelin’ man with itchy feet.:)

But there used to be differences between a drunken skid row bum, a dangerous tramp, and the knight of the road hobo.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
When a cigar has been exceptional and I want to enjoy every last iota, I have loaded the stub in a pipe and smoked it. In my experience, more often than not, by the time the cigar has smoked down to that level after two hours of drawing through it, the tars have collected in that end and tastes nothing like the majority of the stick previously did and is not worth smoking further.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When a cigar has been exceptional and I want to enjoy every last iota, I have loaded the stub in a pipe and smoked it. In my experience, more often than not, by the time the cigar has smoked down to that level after two hours of drawing through it, the tars have collected in that end and tastes nothing like the majority of the stick previously did and is not worth smoking further.
That’s my experience as well. When a seegar starts turning sour, I put it down. Sometimes it’s only 3/4 down, sometimes there’s barely room for my stubby fingers, but whatever is left gets thrown off the deck, not onto my pipe.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
It's funny you mention this, BriarLee, because I just witnessed this very technique for the first time at a cigar shop I frequent last Friday. The proprietor swears it works, but I've yet it to try it for myself.

Also, I will say King's Stride is an amazingly good pipe tobacco. A top 5 blend for me. I started enjoying cigars roughly 3-4 months ago, and some of the first sticks I tried were Warped brand. King's Stride, to an extent, helped bridge the gap between pipe and cigar, at least for me.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
And two hours of pushin’ broom

Buys an eight by twelve four bit room

(I stayed overnight at the Muelbach Hotel while a high school freshman in 1973 in downtown Kansas City, The price of a flop house just down the street had risen from fifty cents to $1.25, Each year or two the management repainted the price until urban renewal spared the Muelbach and the YMCA became the only option for a travelin’ man with itchy feet.:)

But there used to be differences between a drunken skid row bum, a dangerous tramp, and the knight of the road hobo.

Attachments

• The-Light-At-The-End-Of-The-Tunnel-Maybe-An-Oncoming-Train-T-Shirt-e1541282747665.jpg
    The-Light-At-The-End-Of-The-Tunnel-Maybe-An-Oncoming-Train-T-Shirt-e1541282747665.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 8

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I bought my first pipe from Rich's in Portland to smoke not cigar butts but cut-off cigar caps! They didn't taste very good so I bought some real pipe tobacco,1-Q and 965. I stuck with the 965 and dropped the 1-Q! At the time, Lane sold 965, Nightcap, and other Dunhill blends in bulk.

I've also tried cigar butts in a pipe. That's also a no-go for me!

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
About a month ago I started putting all my caps from cutting my cigars in a jar. I plan on mixing them with some VA probably. Idk may me horrible or may be awesome.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Like a pipe, I'll smoke a cigar down to where I feel finished. This may be half a cigar (or pipe) or all the way down to the bottom. But saving the end doesn't sound appealing to me personally. Tobacco is too cheap and available to not love what I'm smoking.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I smoke cigars, and I smoke a pipe. I enjoy both, but much prefer a pipe. I don’t think that the experience or tobacco is the same. Am I wrong?