PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Meerschaum smokes about as cool as a briar. Maybe a little bit less moisture in the dottle, but that's about it. Meers are harder to keep clean too. All in all, they feel similar, but it's cool to color a meer.

Reactions: didimauw

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I really enjoy the coloring process of the meers. And, their smoking qualities are … well … some are superior and some aren’t! I only smoke meerschaums, and have for many years. Keeping them clean and happy isn’t a problem.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've found Meerschäume more difficult to clean than briar. Caked in bits of tobacco are more difficult to dislodge since I can't scrape as firmly as I do on briar lest I gouge the sepiolite. Some of this debris have by now become inclusions. 😒

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
frankly the difference is not huge in my opinion. Hows that work? For me it depends on the blend. Some are better in one then the other. But I find the difference between cobs and others to be more significant and noticeable. Kind of depends on how much attention you want to pay to the difference as well. Generally one way I could put it, if you like one it's hard to imagine not liking the other relatively equally. Though the only way to find out is to get one or two or three to try.

MichaelMP5

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
Meer's are a bit more fragile imo. My wedding ring put a light scratch in my Petersen Meer years ago, every time I see it, it pains me a little.

• Sad
Reactions: seanv