PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I smoke my pipe wherever it is legal and allowed. I don't care whether anybody thinks I'm a novice or an expert, as long as I am enjoying it, that's all that matters. Never looked at it as a contest or competition. I'm probably a lot closer to the novice rating than the expert one but I am a world champion at enjoying it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never think about it. If somebody doesn't like seeing me or anybody smoke a pipe in public, I consider it their problem, not mine.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I can also be a little self-conscious about smoking around others. I don't like being perceived as pretentious. I typically don't smoke in public because there are so few places in public I can smoke anymore! Most places I can smoke, however, are full of folks like us who probably enjoy a pipe or cigar now and then, as well.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I woulda loved to smoke around other pipers when I was starting out, just so that they could tell me what I was doing wrong!
About six months after I started piping I went into the Sanctuary Tobacco shop in San Luis Obispo since I was visiting the city for work. I had zero intention of smoking in the shop.....I was mortified to smoke in front of real pipe folks. The owner, Doug, helped me purchase two pipes and a couple of pounds of tobacco and invited upstairs to try out one of the pipes and then offered some Escudo to smoke. Not only had I never smoked a flake, I barely knew how to load and light my pipe without looking like a six thumbed fool. Doug not only helped me pack, guided me on lighting and then worked a little on cadence, etc.
So, I understand that point, but piping in front of the great "unwashed" never concerned me in the least.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I've only ever known one other person in rl in my area that smoked a pipe. I don't really feel people that see me smoking it really notice that I'm a noob. If i notice anyone looking at me, i feel its proablly just because they don't see many pipe smokers.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
When I first started smoking a pipe, I wouldn't dare smoke in public, let alone around my peers. I was 14, in an all-boys high school, and would have earned a "wedgie" or a "swirly" puffing on my pipe in the snack shop after school. By time I was 17, I had no problem with it. Also, you could smoke in class when I went to college. And, you were as cool as Hef if you smoked a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.