PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone else use Komboloi ( worry beads ) while smoking ? I find it helps me to focus my mind on the tobacco even more and really enjoying the smoke that much more.
I have been making up some nice customs to use , will post some of my new designs I have come up with in this thread shortly, need to get the images uploaded first - but have been using nice wood beads , along with glass and stone.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
We call them tasbeh over here in Azerbaijan, if you check the Wikipedia page you will see that those are regarded as a religious thing but in fact non-religious ones are also called that way. I have a few at home that I don't even know where I put them. In Turkey they use amber to make the beads, these are pretty popular there:
buyuk-boy-sikma-kehribar-tesbih-815b.jpg

Then there are these which used to be pretty popular among the old residents of Baku (capital of Azerbaijan). They white ones in the middle are usually made of bone or horn.
http_photos.milli.az_images_111427_19.jpg

The beads on those are placed tightly so you can't really do that counting movement, instead you have to flip it between your fingers. Check the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLxQ2rWFo4

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Sometimes I'll whittle or otherwise play with my pocket knife. That's my worry stone.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Many people of different religions use similar beads while repeating regular prayers, such as Buddhists, Catholics, Hindus, and Muslims.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In Buddhism prayer beads are used to time your breathing and focus your meditation. I find the activity of smoking a pipe is in itself a sufficient ritual of concentration. I don't want too much going on at once. (I am not Buddhist but have taken an interest in workshops and use some of the techniques in my own way.)

It is fascinating that beads can be used in such similar ways across the world and across so many religions. My wife used to own a bead shop, she still holds shows in our town, and we have visited so many countries in sourcing and seeing how beads have been manufactured from around the world. They were the very first thing that we know of human beings (or at least their/our ancestors) making, a rock with a hole in it, some dating back 10,000 years. They have also been used as currency, religious purposes, and seen as a measure of wealth. Easily disregarded, but fascinating when you look at the history.
After WW1, the Czechs converted ammunition and weapons factories into bead factories, and some of those oldest bead making production equipment are still in operation there.
Sorry, did I bead geek all over this one? haha
Anyways, to the OP. I don't actually use beads in any form of meditation, myself. I seem to find staring off into space without a thought in my head fairly easy. But, I really appreciate beads. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, there is an extensive bead show at the State Fairgrounds in N.C. every year. It is clear that the exhibitors travel around in R.V.'s from show to show for many weeks throughout the year. The rather large hall is filled with exhibit tables and high-intensity lamps, and attendance varies from quite a crowd during some hours, to barely anyone during others. This overlaps to some extent another show of gems and jewelry that follows the same format but is for general consumers as well a craft bead people. I attend the jewelry show to buy gifts for my wife, often hard-to-get clip-on earrings; everything is pierced ear items these days. But the bead industry is notable. I still have some Buddhist prayer beads, wood.

Franklin, NC has some really good gem shows throughout the year, if you can ever get out that way. There’s also a couple of old Tiffany mines that are privately owned, not those beside the road slough tourist traps. But, a few actual ruby mines, worth doing a google search for. You may need a rugged vehicle to get back to them, but I’ve camped there and gotten quite a few honkers.

Jul 12, 2011
I think my next custom will be a Briar bead design, should be pretty slick and perhaps Olive wood will also yield some pretty nice grains and looks to the beads

Status
Not open for further replies.