Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
So maybe this is something that I just have never had to deal with being from California, but it is cold and raining out and I dont know where to smoke. I live in an appt. complex that doesnt allow smoking inside, and have had to smoke outside. Normally this is not a problem at all, actually I usually prefer to smoke outside. With this cold rainy weather however, I dont know what to do with myself. Does anyone have any ideas or anything to add? Can I do something about it, or do I just need to wait a day or two for hte rain to pass?

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Welcome to the problem of being British. For at least half of every year we have weather problems. If you really wanna light up you are just gunna have to walk and find shelter my friend.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
For those of us who now live in the civilized world (I can say that cuz I'm actually from California) there is a marvelous invention, and unknown to most Californians.... It's called an umbrella. Strange word I know, and an even stranger contraption, but quite functional.

When opened and resting on one's shoulder, while performing a slow promenade with the wind and rain at your back, a large bowl of your favorite baccy stoked with pipe properly clinched, is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Fred Astaire once made a movie about it.... I think it was called Smoking in the Rain. :D

:puffy:

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Man i love witty sarcasm! Im'a start a petition for a like button :-P

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I was walking around downtown on a dismal day and noticed a fellow pipe smoker. He was smoking his pipe upside down, he had spun the bit 180 degrees and was puffing away. Anyone else ever tried this.

I would assume you would have to pack it just right.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi bbauer, I too am an outdoor smoker and here in Ohio we have plenty of fowl weather. My favorite spot is by the back door of my garage. Being on the lee side provides a little shelter. As suggested there has to be an overhang or awning somewhere around you building. I actually like smoking out on cold rainy nights, a light breeze helps keep my pipe lit. Of course summer evenings on the front steps enjoying a bowl and watching the stars come out is also mighty fine.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
You could set up a fan blowing out a window and smoke in front of it. The fans pull is usualy strong enough to pull the smell and the smoke out the window. Do you think the owner is going to be walking around in the rain, doubtful.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I don't mind smoking in the rain. It's wind that gets me. We get a fair amount of wind howling down off the mountains in the winter and my house sits in peculiar spot in which I can literally walk a complete circle around it and always have the wind blowing down the back of my neck (or in my face if I go the other way). I think it has something to do with a tall road embankment about 30 yards from our house, but whatever causes it, it's damned annoying! I usually end up in the garage, but it's not exactly a relaxing spot.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
It's all about hunkering down. I find a tree to hide under or a wall for a wind-break. Umbrellas work too. When it's REALLY bad (high winds, rain or sleet and very low temps) then I forgo the smoke till the next day or whenever my courage is found again.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I love smoking outside in cold weather. Living in Oklahoma we have to deal with the wind but the cold and even rain (if it ever rains)makes smoking a pipe a true pleasure. I have never smoked it upside down but if I had to I would if I could.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
This thread just gave me a fantastic idea: umbrellas that attach to the pipe! A felt lined ring wraps around the shank, coated so as to not damage the finish. A little umbrella then comes up and over the pipe to protect the wood and 'baccy.
Sure, it might prevent people from a clear line of vision to where they are walking or, at the worst, cause a bad case of crossed eyes, but...
Nevermind. I saw The Jerk with Steve Martin. I know how this is going to end.
Seriously, though, if I get caught in the rain I cup my hand over the bowl as best as I can until get to drier areas.

alingeorgia

Lurker
Feb 14, 2012
You can smoke a pipe upside down no problem if it's packed right. My grandad did it all the time. He smoked a pipe like people chain smoke cigs. I've done it on occasion. You need a straight stem pipe, though, or it looks totally ridiculous.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
snow-1-450x600.jpg

I live in CA too, sunny San Diego (30 min from beach in foothills) I woke up to this today. I am a landscape contractor so dont guess I work today. I dug out the portable gas heater from camping gear and just finished a bowl of Duhill London in the garage.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Chops I live in the foothills of our local mountains at about 4,000 ft and yes we get snow a few times a year. 20 min from here though it can easily be 20-30 degrees warmer at any given moment. I lived at the beach nearly all my life and moved to Gods country about 7 yrs ago.

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
During the first few weeks I started smoking, I vowed I would never light up inside. Smoking isn't allowed in my building either. I live on the 5th floor of an old apartment complex so my only options were to go all the way down 10 flights of stairs (no elevator) to ground level or walk out onto my extra-sketchy fire escape, which a fireman once told me was a death trap waiting to happen. So, I decided to go with the fire escape route :D The thing I disliked the most about the fire escape (aside from it being lethal) was dealing with the elements and feeling like a peeping tom piper (my neighbors don't close their blinds). After several windy/rainy days, I finally said screw it. I opened all my windows, put a big fan in front of one of them and lit up at my desk. I was amazed by how efficient the open window/fan method worked. For starters, it doesn't set off my very sensitive smoke alarm. After smoking a big bowl, I went out to run some errands and realized there was absolutely no smell of pipe tobacco in my hallway when I came back. Within 30 min, my apartment was odor free. The few times people have come over shortly after smoking, they commented on how lovely my incense smelled :) I say go for it. Most pipe tobacco smoke smells so much better than cigarettes and cigars, the majority of people can't even identify it.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Hey, worst comes to worse, you could always go for a drive and smoke in the car, that is if you have one, and can afford the gas! :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm relegated to smoking outside when I travel and am tired of the cold winter. It's just no fun standing outside in 20 degree weather for a smoke. So, I just skip it on those days or find a tobacco shop with a lounge. Come on Spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.