PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Came down with a terrible case of man-flu this week and so have been out of smoking action for the last five days. It made me think that I've read of quite a few here who take a break if they've a cold but made me wonder - do most do this? Or are there some hardy fools who brave the onslaught and seek to toast the virus to oblivion with a good dose of Latakia or the like?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I tend to soldier-on in all things when I have a cold.
I just smoke my pipe and get whatever I can out of the experience accepting the fact that my sense of taste is probably not functioning correctly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I quit when sick I'd just feel worse from the nicotine withdrawal. I do smoke less pipe when ill. I have perversely accepted the thought that the smoke kills germs. No foundation for that, just a weak justification based on nothing at all concrete.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I just finished round 2 this year...and it comes with a nasty bronchitis that lasts for weeks. If I'm coughin' I'm not smoking...

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I avoid smoking until fully healed. I can't taste anything when I have a cold anyway. And I rarely get more than two colds a year, and each lasts at most a week.
Consider using the downtime to wax and buff your pipes :)

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
If I've got a bad cold, or if my allergies are flaring up bad, I can't taste a damn thing so I tend not to smoke until it subsides. No fun eating either for the same reason.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to be good and quit until better. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes not.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I tend to smoke Arro's only when sick. Gives me a bit of nic and flavoring to get me through work.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I quit until better. I smoke my pipe for relaxation, and a big part of that is flavor. Cante taste anything when sick, so smoking my pipe is pointless. Even when I start to get better, it can be days before my taste is fully restored, and during those days tobacco tastes off and rather awful. I see little benefit to smoking while sick.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If I can't smell, then it's a waste. No need to waste when the Gov. approaching the back door to steal my contraband.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I lay off the pipe when I don't feel well. I can't taste or smell anything and don't usually feel like smoking either. :puffy:

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm just over a cold and I took the opportunity to smoke some blends I had jarred up that I wasn't too fond of.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
When it gets hard to breath I hold off on smoking. Ditto for a rattle in the bronchioles, it is time to rack the pipes, and gulp large quantities of vitamin C and vitamin Jack, honey, and lemon. Easy on the honey and lemon :D

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
I realized I had sinusitis after smoking a Don Pepin cigar and two bowls of a balkan blend ovr the weekend 2 weeks ago. Had to get Augmentin, claritan, saline spray and rest to recover. I would like to smoke but will not.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I usually don't smoke when sick. No fun smoking flavorless smoke. It usually makes it taste bad in my opinion.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Having a cold and smoking NOPE. But not a big deal. The real problem is certain medication screw up your taste and smell. I have some sort of inhaler but you use it in your nose. Used it one time, could not taste anything for a couple months after that. NEWER AGAIN. So be careful what you use. Nothing wrong with the stuff thats been around forever sudafed and benedryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.