Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
If they're opinions, how are they wrong? ? Each mentioned is subjective to the individual.
Opinions can be wrong or not based on what's true, but we don't have to point them out unless they ask. In the case of this thread, we might assume the OP is asking, or why else did he post? That said, good for him for experimenting and finding out what works for him.

Some folks just have a longer learnng curve where experimentation is necessary. For others, they read and listen to others and follow their lead.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Opinions can be wrong or not based on what's true, but we don't have to point them out unless they ask. In the case of this thread, we might assume the OP is asking, or why else did he post? That said, good for him for experimenting and finding out what works for him.

Some folks just have a longer learnng curve where experimentation is necessary. For others, they read and listen to others and follow their lead.
I find this discussion fascinating. I take zero offense at @saltedplug 's myth busting post, and I can also see that there's a difference between clearly stating an opinion, e.g. "In my experience...", "what works for me is..." and stating an opinion as a fact, e.g. "It's a myth that...", "no one in their right mind believes that..", etc.

My original post was more about sharing my experiences so as to help new smokers rather than asking for feedback on what I should do (although I'm always happy to get advice). It was a way of trying in some way, however small, to give back to folks like @chasingembers, @hoosierpipeguy , @musicman , @jiminks and so many others whose opinions and experiences have enlightened my own pipe smoking. So, if my post helped anyone at all to improve their smoking experience, then I'm more that satisfied with the response to my original post.

And that's a fact! :)

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Personally, I find the idea of smoking a blend exclusively for any length of time foreign. I like it all too much. There are times where I want an English, others a codger, still other times I have a Virginia itch. Maybe I'm too new or too ADD.

Instead, I keep a broad cellar and limited rotation. 2 aromatics, an aro/ English and a heavy English, 1 or 2 vapers, a Lakeland, and a couple pouches and a jar of burleys. It takes a little longer than the OP's way of doing things while still getting a variety of fine smokables.

Reactions: hairvise

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Personally, I find the idea of smoking a blend exclusively for any length of time foreign. I like it all too much. There are times where I want an English, others a codger, still other times I have a Virginia itch. Maybe I'm too new or too ADD.

Instead, I keep a broad cellar and limited rotation. 2 aromatics, an aro/ English and a heavy English, 1 or 2 vapers, a Lakeland, and a couple pouches and a jar of burleys. It takes a little longer than the OP's way of doing things while still getting a variety of fine smokables.
I agree with you here—I didn’t smoke it exclusively, but rather, I stayed away from smoking another Virginia blend or a Vaper so as not to muddy the waters. I enjoyed an aromatic during this time as a change of pace!

Reactions: RookieGuy

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I’m a little late to this party, but this is a great post! I’m glad to have been a part of your introduction to Va and VaPer tobaccos!

For the first couple of years I was a regular pipe smoker I pretty much exclusively jumped from blend to blend, rarely repeating a smoke back-to-back.

But in the past 6-9 months I’ve adopted the practice it sticking with a blend, or at least a small group of blends, for an extended period of time, in order to really get to know that blend. I’ve found it to be a beneficial practice for all the reasons you mentioned, and particularly in order to really figure out what I like. This started when I first tried Fillmore and it immediately went to the top of my list of VaPers.

I don’t think I’ll ever be the kind of smoker who just opens one tin at a time and smokes it until it’s gone, but for me, having the occasional opportunity to really focus on a blend and identify what the constituent components add, etc. has been both edifying and enriching to all of my pipe smoking.