Smoking a Tin Until Done or Whatever Strikes Your Fancy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I currently have 46 ish open tins jared up in pint jars that i puff on at random. Along with a dozen little jars with .5 to 1.5 oz in them. Only unopened tins are ones that are extras of already opened tins. Lifes to short to not try them. I do have bulk stuff cellared thats "off limits" until its aged.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I rarely, if ever, smoke the same blend twice in a row. Sometimes not even twice in the same day, week or month. I have somewhere between 75-100 different blends available for smoking, though I do have my favorites. I keep about 20 upstairs next to my recliner, and occasionally rotate a few of them back down to the man cave. If I’m in said man cave, I’ll smoke something that’s down there. It usually takes me a few minutes to decide what to smoke next, unless I have a real craving for a particular blend.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I have about 30 blends in jars and maybe another 30 still in the original tins. The ones in the jars drive me bananas. Initially I thought jarring them was good but having developed a palette and some favourites, there are many blends jarred which I am not in love with anymore. The problem is that the tobacco apocalypse has now arrived in NZ and you just have to smoke it all! So I am forcing my myself to smoke all those awful Latakia blends so I can then come back to the precious Burley.

So back on point, at some time in the future I intend to just open the tin and smoke the whole damned thing.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I keep all of my opened tins and jars in a tote (40 or so) and everything that has been jarred for aging or Unopened tins goes in a big filing cabinet in my basement. It's nice to have a variety at hand, so I prefer this method of storage.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>
The problem is that the tobacco apocalypse has now arrived in NZ and you just have to smoke it all! So I am forcing my myself to smoke all those awful Latakia blends so I can then come back to the precious Burley.

Find someone down under who appreciates Latakia and dislikes Burley. Then you can both be chuffed.

Reactions: brandaves and charf

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
It's interesting to me how far removed we are from so many of our pipe smoking fore fathers. Perhaps I'm inventing this fantasy in my mind...I just see a man with one, maybe two pipes and a can of OTC smoking until it's empty and then buying a new one of the exact same blend.

I was at a swap meet today and came across some old Grabow pipes that were so heavily caked that I have no earthly idea how they were smoked into that condition. My pinky finger wouldn't have fit into any of those bowls.

I can remember my grandfather showing me how to maintain tools. He would say, "take care of your tools and they'll take care of you." It is such a stark contrast between that sentiment and those pipes. Someone smoked them until they were done. Although, I suppose to the owner they were just drug store cheapies and they were seen as disposable I guess.

Pipes are tools. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. Same with tobacco. Still, my grandfather and certainly my great grandfather would look at me sideways if they saw my tobacco cellar and the number of open blends I have.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I don't smoke enough to open a tin and leave the contents in the tin, so I always jar them, but I consider those "open tins." I have dozens of them. They pick up a little age, and I have a lot to choose from without disturbing anything I'm deliberately aging.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's interesting to me how far removed we are from so many of our pipe smoking fore fathers. Perhaps I'm inventing this fantasy in my mind...I just see a man with one, maybe two pipes and a can of OTC smoking until it's empty and then buying a new one of the exact same blend.

I was at a swap meet today and came across some old Grabow pipes that were so heavily caked that I have no earthly idea how they were smoked into that condition. My pinky finger wouldn't have fit into any of those bowls.

I can remember my grandfather showing me how to maintain tools. He would say, "take care of your tools and they'll take care of you." It is such a stark contrast between that sentiment and those pipes. Someone smoked them until they were done. Although, I suppose to the owner they were just drug store cheapies and they were seen as disposable I guess.

Pipes are tools. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. Same with tobacco. Still, my grandfather and certainly my great grandfather would look at me sideways if they saw my tobacco cellar and the number of open blends I have.
I don't even think they saw the pipe as a tool.. just a delivery device for the tobacco that was replaceable.
Probably cheaper as well to just smoke to oblivion than to buy pipe cleaners!

64alex

May 10, 2016
I keep about 20-25 tins opened and rotate among them. In the past I was jumping randomly among them, now I tend to do 3-4 bowls in a row from the same tin, reason why you can capt some small flavors of a blend if you smoke few times in a row.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Or grandfather's didn't have cell phones. They didn't have the internet. I think their pipe smoking habits were different because the circumstances were different.

With that said, I would water a high percentage of pipe smokers today still have one or two pipes and smoke one or two blends. What you see here on this forum is more the exception than the rule.