PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am not giving medical advise, just experience. I suffered with a GERD/hiatal,hernia diagnosis for over 20 years I took every new reflux drug that came upon the market during that time. I additionally underwent 2 surgeries (laparoscopic fundalpication, for those in the medical know). I puked a lot of blood on the way and pics of my esophagus looked like hamburger
Eventually, I came upon a gastroenterologist that had been doing research that,,was suggesting that a large percentage of GERD was triggered by poor gut motility. He prescribed a regime,of probiotics and an elimination of wheat in the diet. Lo and behold, the daily puking stopped and my gut eventually healed.

I am relating what worked for me and was recommended by an awarded expert in his field. To each his own and good luck.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When you are drinking, you wash down the acid as you swallow which can help for a very short time. After a smoke and drink the chemicals are absorbed and enter the blood stream where they then act upon the smooth muscle receptors to activate the effect which would occur a short while after drinking/smoking.
That's quite sensical. I reckon it explains why the pain/discomfort is there when one wakes up next day.

I must say that GERD symptoms vary based on individuals' idiosyncrasies. It's heavily influenced by emotions, and it also depends a lot on the diet. Good medical advice helps, but most of the onus is on the sufferer himself to suss out what makes it worse or better and go with the affinities whilst avoiding the inimicals.

My reflux is quite vexing to-day, after having had very fatty food last night at a friend's house. In **my** case such food is a trigger, whilst I'm OK with leaner food, even if acidic.

As with all things, it's all a balancing act of benefits vs risks.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
That's quite sensical. I reckon it explains why the pain/discomfort is there when one wakes up next day.

I must say that GERD symptoms vary based on individuals' idiosyncrasies. It's heavily influenced by emotions, and it also depends a lot on the diet. Good medical advice helps, but most of the onus is on the sufferer himself to suss out what makes it worse or better and go with the affinities whilst avoiding the inimicals.

My reflux is quite vexing to-day, after having had very fatty food last night at a friend's house. In **my** case such food is a trigger, whilst I'm OK with leaner food, even if acidic.

As with all things, it's all a balancing act of benefits vs risks.
You hit on two important factors with GERD that I think deserves attention.

First, when are laying down gravity is no longer working for you. GERD is worse at night when you are laying down.

Second, fats decrease stomach emptying which makes GERD worse.

Having a pipe, whiskey, and a pizza right before bed may sound great.....