PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSteven

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
Actually, in about 1959, I sneaked away with one of my father's pipes and a wax paper bag of tobacco I'd filled from his tobacco jar. I haven't smoked a cigarette since my late wife was pregnant with my 42-year-old daughter, but I do still smoke cigars when the weather in MN isn't frigid. I smoked MacBaren Virginia #1 for decades until I eased into English/Balkan blends. For about the last 25 years, I've been hooked on blends where latakia predominates. I've put together my own blend from commercial blending components that is 50% latakia and rarely smoke anything else. I do purchase an occasional tin and a few ounces of a bulk blend fjor a change of pace, but I am resolved to be a latakia ho until my demise.
I've participated on several pipe and cigar forums since they came into existence. I assume many here have interacted with me since the first quasi-forums were, in fact, list-serves.
I spent just shy of 60 years in the broadcast industry and am a proud Army veteran of the Vietnam War.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Actually, in about 1959, I sneaked away with one of my father's pipes and a wax paper bag of tobacco I'd filled from his tobacco jar. I haven't smoked a cigarette since my late wife was pregnant with my 42-year-old daughter, but I do still smoke cigars when the weather in MN isn't frigid. I smoked MacBaren Virginia #1 for decades until I eased into English/Balkan blends. For about the last 25 years, I've been hooked on blends where latakia predominates. I've put together my own blend from commercial blending components that is 50% latakia and rarely smoke anything else. I do purchase an occasional tin and a few ounces of a bulk blend fjor a change of pace, but I am resolved to be a latakia ho until my demise.
I've participated on several pipe and cigar forums since they came into existence. I assume many here have interacted with me since the first quasi-forums were, in fact, list-serves.
I spent just shy of 60 years in the broadcast industry and am a proud Army veteran of the Vietnam War.
I LOVE LATAKIA..............and classic english blend............ puffybdwtenor (1).gif

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome from the South Carolina upstate! Glad to have you with us! Lat ho, huh? -laugh- Me too. You can have your 50%; gimme the straight stuff any day. ? Born/bred suthun boy myself, but with a MN thermostat. (God has a great sense of humor.)

You've hit the mother lode; experts abound here, from Jesse (the "bard of Barling") to ashdigger (collector of over a century's worth) .

Bill

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
thanks for your service

Reactions: chopper

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman

One awesome story! Greetings from the Cayman Islands.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Australia.

50% Latakia? :eek:

From reading many others experiences on pipe forums, a lot of pipe smokers who smoke Latakia rich blends exclusively often suffer from Lat fatigue eventually.

I've noticed a similar thing when I smoke the same genre of anything for too long.
Now I mix it up a bit to avoid that from happening.

Having said that, it sounds like you might be an exception to the rule.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago. You and picked up the pipe the same year! I, too, enjoy Latakia blends, preferably Syrian.
You may want to consider changing your avatar, as it is the same as another on this forum, "gamzultovah."
And, thank you for your service.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.