PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just stuff and puff, but smoke slow and try to smoke to the bottoms.

Didn’t you forget to mention, not all the way to the bottom? ?

Not to far to the bottom, so you don’t accidentally char the airway with the flame. The flame is what you have to worry about burning, eventually charring.

Hmm if I had to take a guess, I guess I stop around 1/8th of an inch.

I use to think I needed to smoke it all the way to bottom, to form a nice carbon build on the bottom, and later realized, all the heat, tabac and moisture eventually builds it without needing to smoke all the way down.

Plus you keep the draft hole airway cleaner, for a cleaner smoke.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Please don't put anything in your new bowl. It will ruin the favor of your tobacco!
A new pipe is the best. I don't believe building cake is a good thing. Would you build cake in your car engine?
I hate breaking pipes in. Meers briar and cobs. I am having a hard time not building cake in my meers. Mentally that is.

Reactions: hyperstar

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do the same with established pipes to keep the heel—and the rest of the pipe—dry.

I believe the OP has left the building.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi everyone I’m getting a new pipe arriving Friday, what should I use I’ve read put honey in or water not sure what works best ,
my opinion is shops used to do that. Because it makes sure cake starts right away. The shop doesn't have to worry if the smoker smokes hot and fast well not as much. Though never done it never needed to. Also heard back in the day some pipes were made with briar that was younger and could taste super nasty at first.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Hey, guys. With this overwhelming welcome, maybe we scared him away? Maybe we should go back to being mean and making fun of the newbies? Seemed to worked better.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hi everyone I’m getting a new pipe arriving Friday, what should I use I’ve read put honey in or water not sure what works best ,
I coat the inside of the chamber of new pipes with a dab of honey, for the first few times I smoke them.

I was shown that trick about sixty years ago, watching Harry Hosterman break in a new Dr. Grabow.

I think it helps, and it can’t hurt anything.