PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
So, I have a rather odd/noob question. A few of the pipes I have I realized are 9mm pipes, however, I've never smoked them with a 9mm filter.
My cob and my Rattray's pipe are both meant for 9mm filters and I noticed the inlet portion of the stem (that goes into the shank) is much wider than the inlet for the pipes that don't require a 9mm filter.
My question here is twofold.....
1. Is it ok to smoke the pipe without a 9mm filter even though the inlet is larger? Could this be causing my burn and relight issues?
2. Is smoking with a filter a good idea? or is there some way to close the hole slightly to make the pipe not 9mm?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
only PRO is, that they filters the bad stuff
Unlike cigarettes, pipe filters really only filter out moisture. As for using them or not, it's a personal choice. The draw of the pipe can be adjusted by how tightly the tobacco is packed. Try packing more loosely to help with the relighting and tongue burn.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks Deniz! Good to know! I'm also German....although, I'm German-American lol as I was born here in Florida. I've actually been dying to go to Germany!

Oct 7, 2016
I have a couple of 9mm filter pipes that I smoke without the filter. I use Qtips dipped in PGA to clean the shank and tennon after each smoke. They are great smokers

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
First cob I ever owned some forty years back came with a filter. I bought one box of filters to replace. Misplaced them after only using one. Smoked it for a long time with none, and it was my fave pipe at the time, though I only had three pipes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I consider when 9mm pipes is smoked unfiltered,the draw is too much open to my likings,even 6mm Savinellis smoked without balsa inserts seem offering somewhat exessive open draw, nonetheless, I must point out two things when saying this, firstly,

lately I have been smoking my French pipes which all come with pretty narrow air holes'yet are equipped with removable 3mm metal stringers, and secundo,I'm not too experienced smoker,, nevertheless this suggested tighter packing method I shall keep in mind when loading filter pipes without filters in them.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
ToDD Ryan,I'm residing up north here in Scandinavia-Eu,and thinking should I get and fly down to sunny Florida to get some sand in my shoes,referring here to Mr J Cash and to his famous song'the Orange Blossom special,

Greets from Finland-Paul

72f,)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I smoke my Savinelli pipes with the Balsa wood filters and my cobs with the Dr. Grabow filters, and I've never noticed a difference in taste of the tobacco (with or without filters). Whether its an aromatic, English, Virginia etc. I've never had an issue with detecting flavors in a tobacco with a filter. You'll have to try it for yourself to see if you notice a difference.

Jun 27, 2016
I run 6mm balsa triangle filters that I cut myself in my 9mm filter pipes. They grab moisture and particles, and the draw is not really affected while I can still pass a cleaner during a smoke since the top plane of the filter is just below the airway. Sometime you can still get particles on your tongue with them, since the compromise is that the filter is not parked in front of the airstream. :puffy:

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
I use Qtips dipped in PGA
oldgeezersmoker - Yup, you can't beat the old Q-Tip! I use them on a majority of my pipes. The only problem I have with them is my wife. She buys them for herself, and I raid her little stash for my use. She's always saying "go buy your own," and I just say back: "why should I when I have yours."
I smoke the few 9mm pipes that I have without filters, and find that they smoke no differently then my non-filtered pipes. They are good smokers, and I really enjoy them. Actually, one of them is German; it's a Wallenstein, and it's a very nice pipe!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I had only the one 9mm filter pipe I made my own adapter from some dowelling as the draw felt pretty 'loose' without it.
Since then I have acquired more pipes that happen to use 9mm filters (had one arrive this morning, a Venini bent Rhodesian) so I bought half a dozen plastic adapters. Yes, it's another thing to clean but I think the benefit outweighs this minor inconvenience.
Regards 'proper' filters, I did experiment with opening one up with a scalpel and removed half the charcoal inside. This was a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned as it still filtered the smoke but barely affected the draw.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a pipe or two that came with balsa filters. They smoke fine with and without the filters. As to adjusting draw, how the tobacco is packed and tamped can regulate it just fine.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks for the input everyone! I might try filters just to try it since I've never used them before. Can I use any filter in a 9mm? even a balsa filter? I'd prefer a wood filter to a paper one I think.
@paulie66
I took a trip to Denmark last year and I loved it, I've been dying to go back to the other Scandinavian countries! Let's trade places, I hate Miami lol

Jun 27, 2016
toddryan84
Thanks for the input everyone! I might try filters just to try it since I've never used them before. Can I use any filter in a 9mm? even a balsa filter? I'd prefer a wood filter to a paper one I think.
Bad idea, bro. I would not use balsa filters, especially not 6mm in a 9mm pipe. =)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay: I'm feeling just as you with this draw thing,as far as I'm informed it is traditional that British or Irish made pipes are unfiltered (metal stinger-tubes does count )

Todd Ryan:I have seen on Ebay Italy 9mm Balsa filters,if any these are only filters I use occasionally,they seem not to affect the taste whereas I find charcoal filts making smoke milder and somewhat dryer, Lots of our compatriots are permanently living down there in Flo,taxes are much less compared to ours,(climat is better,except for mid summer)during the last 5 years all them Scandinavian countries are becoming unbearable expensive place to live,If I was younger,,

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Bad idea, bro. I would not use balsa filters, especially not 6mm in a 9mm pipe. =)
Oh, do they not make them in 9mm? Do the balsa filters only work in Savinelli?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many Forum members smoke filter pipes without filters and like it that way. If the draw is too open, try a no-filter adaptor. I use these in a number of Sav's and some Dr. Grabow (same adaptor, 6 mm) and they work fine. Remember you can buy various Sav series as non-filter pipes including Oscar Lucite, Hercules, unfinished pipes, and Rossi, by Sav, Vittoria and Palermo, among others. I only use the adaptors because the wide open draw on some pipes airs out the flavor so much. In a 9mm pipe, I'd go ahead and try the 9 mm filter. I mostly don't smoke with a filter, but they might be useful when you are smoking much more than ordinary, like at a pipe show or pipe club.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
@paulie66
Ummm....I'm gonna have to disagree there, Scandinavian countries have a lot more to offer than here, at least South Florida. The pay in South Florida is far below average compared to the cost of living. Sure we may have some smaller taxes, but it all evens out when you have to drive everywhere, you don't get enough paid time off, your salary isn't high enough to make-up for the cost of living, everything is an expense. Education isn't free (I'm being raped by my student loans, I can barely afford to do anything some months) rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in a BAD are of town is over 1300 a month (that's JUST rent, no utilities...no wifi, no electricity, etc) not to mention the fees they add onto that (trash fee? 30 a month, parking fee? 15 a month....)
We also have steep sales tax and let's not forget gratuity when dining out (18-20% and in Miami, sometimes that 18% is already added to the bill and they expect a tip on top of that usually) the average price for a cocktail in Miami is 12-14 dollars....for ONE cocktail. Beer.....6-10 depending on the beer.
By the way, the weather in Florida is ALWAYS hot...and that's not just mid-summer.....for Xmas this past year, it was 93 degrees (about 34 C)...on Xmas morning. I have Danish friends that lived here most of their life, they moved back to Denmark and like it a lot better.
I believe in higher taxes with better socialized services....what people here don't understand is that you end up eventually losing about 25-30% of your pay anyhow.....401k, income tax, medical insurance, etc. The US gives the appearance that we have less expenses because of less taxes but when you add up everything you pay for over the course of a year you end up realizing that if these things were just free and socialized, even at the expense of higher tax, you'd have more money. Let's not forget the mandatory month of PTO you get in most EU countries.
We get....1-2 weeks...TOPS and that isn't mandatory either....I could request vacation, and it could get denied by my boss for whatever reason.

Reactions: Annaresti Red
Jun 27, 2016
toddryan84
Oh, do they not make them in 9mm? Do the balsa filters only work in Savinelli?
I was joking, man. Maybe you missed my first post. I have a bag of Sav 9mm balsa filters. I used one and realized that they kill the draw and I can't pass a cleaner while smoking. :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Todd Ryan84: Well I'm ashtonished learning this,it seems the cost of living down there in the metropol area of Flo is also unbearable, especially to those who is educating,could believe condo rents are that high,this your description is confirming what my Mom is always keeping telling me,meantime let me tell you that I have cousine living down in south west Tx-land near to S Antonio,and based on my observations and visits down there(2 times and only) the situation with living espences seems be far less that dramatic in comparition with your area,though shes residing the rural area.With that said,have a great and warm weekend there in Sun State,and where possible,come visit and see if Sweden or Finland has something to offer you,although personally I'd think Denmark is far better place especially when it comes to Pipesmoking and variety of Tobacco products offerings.Keep cool,Best Greets,Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.