PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
For yet another time I decided it was a good idea to attempt pipe smoking while walking in the evening. Seems such a tradition, a delight, the definitive sort of contemplative activity...and yet every time I end up heating up the pipe too much and getting my tongue burnt. Not a tobacco thing. I think it has to do with the pacing and I just draw too frequently on the pipe. Anyone else find this frustrating? Sure don't have this issue sitting on the porch.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
For yet another time I decided it was a good idea to attempt pipe smoking while walking in the evening. Seems such a tradition, a delight, the definitive sort of contemplative activity...and yet every time I end up heating up the pipe too much and getting my tongue burnt. Not a tobacco thing. I think it has to do with the pacing and I just draw too frequently on the pipe. Anyone else find this frustrating? Sure don't have this issue sitting on the porch.
I'm the same way. I can't walk with a pipe or do many chores with one or I will over smoke. Yes, I can chew gum and walk at the same time, but I believe you are right that the pace dictates the puff. I would love to smoke and do odd jobs with the trusty pipe, but no can do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am a huge fan of walking and smoking. Sure it might take some practice, but when you get it down, oh wow. It's super relaxing when you get it down. And you get a double dose of thought lubrication. I personally think all you have to do is dedicate focus and attention to learning how to slow down. Treat it as training as a task. Which means not getting it right away doesn't mean you're doing it wrong, it means you're in the process of learning a new skill. A skill that is very useful. For example if you have an issue that needs some thinking over and rumination, being able to take a lunt will really help with that. Also another additional thing is walking is great exercise and if you learn to walk and smoke it makes it easier to take that walk and get the exercise you need to stay healthy (and also a great justification for your smoking too ;) ). And smoking increases your endurance too. I guess I am advocating for lunting even if it's something you have to practice and learn, it's certainly worth it.

gentlemancob

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2020
Utah
As Samwise Gamgee said, "Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting." I have tried to smoke a pipe while walking and even from the back patio to the front door is too long. Maybe one I will get up the skill to smoke while I walk as it seems to be an enjoyable relaxing activity.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I tried it a few times. Not very enjoyable—pipe going out all the time—getting frustrated trying to relight in wind—finally succeeding only for the thing to go out again after a couple of puffs and 10 paces—stop to light again—mutter some more profanities to myself....

Gave up on it.

Cigars and a walk, OK. Lunting, no.

Reactions: OzPiper and brian64

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I used to have that problem when I first started out. I could sit on my back porch and read and I could keep my cadence and everything else correct, on automation. Felt like I had it down, right? The. I would take a walk and I would lose it. Now it's not a problem because I'm even more in tune with the pipe and tobacco. It's kind of like learning manual. You can be perfectly capable of driving stick, and be able to drive stick in stop and go traffic; but driving stick in stop and go traffic while you're smoking and fussing with your phone and paying attention to your surroundings AND operating the transmission without thinking about it is the final step.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't do strolling !
A fast trot and smoking a pipe are mutually exclusive activities and really cannot be recommended.
It's a seat on the front verandah/backyard patio or nothing

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I am going to suggest it may be a manner of “perspective”.....

Walking..... for me.... probably associated with my work.... involves a relatively fast pace. When I am “walking” it tends to not be particularly conducive to pipe smoking.

Perhaps if you think about “meandering” or just “ambling about”.... it may help? For me, purposefully deciding TO meander or amble about helps me slow my gait so the pipe then becomes a joyful accompaniment to the activity.

It may be a bit of semantics.... but it works for me. ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Like everything else in life, lunting takes practice. Baby steps. I started by walking to the mailbox. Then doing little chores like sweeping the front porch. Little by little, you pay less attention to the pipe and smoking. Soon, you should be able to run Boston Marathon with your favorite flake in your pipe.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I've heard all kinds of people talking about liking this or that pipe for mowing the lawn and this or that tobacco for walking the dog and so on. Having tried it a few times, I've come to this conclusion. Those who enjoy a pipe while mowing the lawn are on riding mowers, not behind a reel mower you have to push uphill. Those who enjoy a pipe while walking the dog aren't strapped to an adult male Chesapeake Bay retriever which views rabbits, birds, squirrels, and other dogs as a personal insult and challenge. And I'm starting to wonder if those who enjoy a pipe while taking a pleasant stroll are in a different geographic location, one with flat land.

But in the end, isn't that the beautiful part? So many wildly different ways to enjoy this strange and wonderful hobby we have. So feel free to do you. Walk past my front porch and have a fill from my tub as we admire the neat trim lawns that our dogs use to make friends and relieve themselves. We're all doing it right if we're all happy with what we're doing

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The first thing I do in the morning is load a pipe and go walking and that's often around 2:00 a.m.
(I do this to get my colon in gear)
I enjoy my pipe outside exclusively, and that does include the screened porch, but most of the time I'm either standing under the shade tree out front in the heat of the afternoon, or I'm walking 'the beat' around my condo complex, which can include a portion of semi and public roadway.
I have been getting in 3 bowls before sunrise for most of the summer and beyond and I usually walk about a mile or so for each bowl...I amble. I wear reflective straps, I carry a lightweight cane varmint stick.
I've seen coyotes, foxes, and drunks.
I've been smoking a pipe for 7 yrs and I'm 73.