PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Hello all.
Some of you may remember me as I was active on the forum in late 2012-early 2013. I haven't had a lot of time for pipe smoking or forums as of late, as at the beginning of April I moved across the Atlantic from Germany to the USA to go back to school.
Since I am living in a small apartment with my non-smoking wife and our 1 year old daughter, and because the temperatures here in the midwest can be rather extreme in the Summer and Winter, I simply haven't been smoking as much as I like. But, I have been looking for ways to change that. I have been braving the winter weather to smoke outside, but as much as I like the cold, I don't always feel like sitting outside in 10 degree weather (like I did tonight) for a bowl. My working space at home has air pumped in and out of it through our heating system, so smoke proofing my only possible indoor smoking place is a challenge...
I have tried closing the in-vent, putting a towel/blanket under the door and over the out-vent and opening the windows. This didn't work. The only other idea that I have would be to put a fan in the open window to take the smoke out, but I'm growing pessimistic. Have any of you overcome a similar problem? Do you have any tips for smoke-proofing a room?
Secondly, living in KC now I have had lots of exposure to McClelland. They are great, but since I have grown fond of their products, and not had the opportunity to smoke as much as I would like, I haven't really tried much else from North American blenders. I would also like some suggestions from you all on what to try next. I am primarily a virginia smoker, and am especially fond of McClelland's 25, 27 and Christmas Cheer.
It's good to be back. I loved this community and it's a bummer that circumstance put a damper on one of my favorite hobbies, but I miss it and want to do something about it.
Thanks to all, and I hope you have all been well since I was last here.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
it sounds like a vent fan in the window is one of the few options you have.

+1. That's what I use. In fact, the one to the left in Cortez's post is almost exactly like the one I have. My wife is allergic to smoke and has an immediate reaction if she encounters it, yet when the fan is on and I'm smoking she is able to stay in the same room with me.
Put it on high, be sure to use a strip of foam rubber to seal the gap on top of the open window, and enjoy. I leave it run for about 1/2 hour after I'm done smoking in order to clear out any remaining smoke and odor. And don't seal under the door, because you need good air flow to take the smoke out through the window. I actually keep my door ajar for better flow; the smoke never gets into the hallway.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Since you already enjoy McClelland tobaccos, I'd be sure to add their Anniversary to your list. It's a truly wonderful Virginia blend. (It's been so long since I've smoked it, though, I'm afraid I've forgotten what else is in it! Maybe a touch of cavendish. Maybe some orientals. But no latakia.)
As for other American blenders, I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Cornell & Diehl or Hearth & Home. (Maybe I just don't like ampersands...) But if you haven't yet dived into the many fantastic blends from G. L. Pease, that should definitely be high on your list. For me, he is producing the absolute pinnacle of latakia-based blends, in both the traditional English and Balkan styles. But his range is much deeper than that -- with straight Virginias, an extremely highly praised VA/perique (Haddo's Delight), and, most recently, plugs.
Welcome back!
Bob

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome back!
As for as NA vendors and Virginia's go I know several people have been pretty impressed by the Virginia's from Brigham. Personally I don't do straight Virginia's but I think C&D's Briar Fox gets a lot of love too.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
+1 on the window fan, but be certain to block the return vent in the room. Remove the vent grate and wrap it with a sheet of heavy weight plastic sheeting, then reinstall with weather stripping between the wrapped grate and the wall. Also install a door sweep. Do not use an ozone generator type air cleaner in any room where you will be breathing. Ozone is a great deodorizer, because it works by breaking down organics, like lung tissue.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I suggest a large plastic bag that holds enough air for a 30 minute smoke with your head in it. Use packing tape to get a good bag-to-neck seal, and you are good to go.
Take the bag with the smoke still in it to a recycling center to decrease global warming.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I can tell you that if the window fan isn't done properly, it won't pull diddly out of the room. I had a window fan, doors open, and another fan blowing toward the window fan.
My wife, best nose in the business, still complained and shut down my smoking in my office. I'm now banned from smoking anywhere in the house and if I want to freeze my arse off, then I can damn well go outside and smoke the nasty pipe thingy.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the apartment has forced hot air heat, you just need to turn the heater blower on when the window fan is running, and be sure that the door is sealed. Probably do not even need the window fan, just open the window. If you can limit your smoking to the area in front of the window, all the better.
Of course, you will need to make up for the air that is blowing out the widow, or you still risk pulling smoke out of the room through any available opening, and back through the heater/blower. Open a window a bit, somewhere else in the apartment, preferably very close to a return vent.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
For straight VAs, try these two from Greg Pease:
Laurel Heights

Union Square
http://www.glpease.com/Tobacco/FogCity/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.