PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I've found that lightly smelling the smoke out from the mouth adds tremendous flavors that cannot be matched by retrohaling, for both pipes and cigars. Yet other smokers I've seen whom prefer outdoor smoking don't do it at all (eg. John from Matches860), and I have difficulties doing it outdoors as well as the smoke is immediately dispersed by wind, always feel like I'm missing out on the pleasure. So am I the only one? Do you do it at all?
I too prefer to lightly smell the smoke coming out of my mouth. I also smell the smoke rising up directly from the bowl. (I'm beginning to think I prefer pipes with a slightly curved stem and nose warmers for this reason). Either way, I let the smoke just enter my nostrils, then blow it out. And when I'm really doing things right--for me--I hardly see any smoke. I'm just breathing through my nose, noting the scent of the smoke more than the smoke itself, using my mouth only to take light sip now and then and keep the pipe going.

I only smoke outdoors. and I do enjoy the smoke much more when it's calm.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Yes I do this. I think about it this way - I blow every exhale towards my nostrils. Not really French smoking it. Just smelling it.

A retro Halle smells a little different. And smelling the smoke from the bowl is different from both.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I do this as well. I'd always thought, that's just how you smoke a pipe, but that's really not the case as everyone has their own way of smoking a pipe. I didn't realize that until I came on these forums. When outdoors smoking a pipe, I used to get frustrated trying to chase the smoke to get the most out of the flavors by smelling the smoke this way.

I don't really do that as much anymore and just enjoy what I get, if that makes sense. Indoors, it's much easier to do. In all the years I've smoked a pipe, I've never really given retrohaling a chance. I think it's because I'm a bit sensitive to the nicotine and I would imagine you would get more of a nicotine kick retrohaling. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I also "smell" the smoke coming out of the bowl or from my mouth sometimes, and yes it smells amazing. I don't produce a lot of smoke so to me it's more like smelling it than inhaling it, but yes I'm inhaling some little smoke.
It's definitely different from inhaling a big quantity of smoke directly from your mouth though, which I never do. Sometimes I can't even help smelling it, like when I'm clenching some full bent pipe and the smoke goes right to my nose.