PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
I have loved big ol' Lorenzos for a long time. Still do. Especially the heavily rusticated ones.

But lately, I have been enjoying small light pipes that I can clench... I only have 3 or 4 little ones, but they sure are a pleasure. Especially if I am working in the shop or something where clenching is the only way. The tobacco type does not seem to make much difference, but I have to watch getting VAs too hot.

Anyone else moving towards the light ones? Just depends on the situation?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a number of smaller pipes, referring to the chambers especially. With most cuts these will give me a twenty or thirty minute smoke, or a good forty-five or more minutes with flake, coin, plug, or rope, because the pieces are bigger and retain more moisture and just have more density. Small pipes are also good for sampling at pipe shows or pipe clubs, taking the measure of reputedly very strong tobaccos before diving into a medium or larger bowl, or catching a short smoke during a work break. They work as travel pipes on trips where the time available and appropriate locations for smoking are limited. I think small pipes, and a few larger pipes are useful to almost all pipe smokers.

Jun 23, 2019

The Japanese one-hitter!

- - -

I have loved big ol' Lorenzos for a long time. Still do. Especially the heavily rusticated ones.

But lately, I have been enjoying small light pipes that I can clench... I only have 3 or 4 little ones, but they sure are a pleasure. Especially if I am working in the shop or something where clenching is the only way. The tobacco type does not seem to make much difference, but I have to watch getting VAs too hot.

Yup, horses for courses.

Don't always have the time for a 2-3 hr bowl, sometimes you need a small 20min banger.

Here's a little Scottie Piersel prince, about a 30 min smoke:

Zezphhkl.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are serious about small pipes, look at the Peterson Belgique. They are about cigarette break size, and I like mine best with a fairly strong blend -- C&D Bayou Night or Stratfordshire, for example, or Old Joe Krantz. The Belgique is a small pipe with a flourish; I think they have the shaping right, not just a scaled down standard shape.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Five or six years ago, I learned that smaller pipes were my preference. Castello KK's or Ashton XX pipes really fit the bill. I learned that weight in grams was a good guide, so I sought out pipes weighing less than 50 grams. I have a few larger, but they rarely get used.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota

Over the years I've added a number of smaller pipes to my humble collection. Perfect for a quick smoke, especially for flakes or Lakelands

My favorites are the Savinelli Kings Cross Featherweigt series, followed closely by the Sasieni Litewate ones.

Rossi, Chacom, & Genod also make some nice smaller pipes. And there's always the smaller cobs...