PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
And George gave you the simplified (dumbed down) version of the equation. Probably figured that the degrees of precision offered by the formula would be adequated.

Reactions: yanoJL

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
And George gave you the simplified (dumbed down) version of the equation. Probably figured that the degrees of precision offered by the formula would be adequated.
Hey man. Not all of us finished Advanced Combinatorics. The pipe community aims to be inclusive. Besides, the formula is accurate enough within the standard Savinelli offerings. You only start getting into trouble with the simplified formula around a Ser Jacopo Maxima Maxima.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wider bowl for complex blends, unless you want the flavor to change throughout the smoke. << Snipped bits out >>
I've read the above for eight years, and still don't believe it. Unless monstrous, and with tobacco that has been badly blended, different flavors are all blended before they reach the bit and your tasters.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
Title edited. See Rule 9.

I’ve seen this pop up over various chats about smoking particular tobaccos with favorite pipes. Is there a general rule of thumb with Virginia’s vs Lat bombs faring better in one type of bowl size than another. Maybe it’s not the type of tobacco but the type of cut. Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers!

As the number of tobacco varieties in a blend increases, so does the width of my pipe. My widest Latakia pipe is wider than my widest VA/x pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What brand and model are those?! That shape looks like it sits great in the hand
At one point the focus of my collection, those are Savinelli 904s, 914s, 9004s, and 9005s. At one point I had over 50 of them but now only three or four as sentimental pieces. They are on the small side and my increasingly painful joints in my hands just can't grip smaller pipes anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You never know until you try a specific blend in a certain pipe and see what happens.

When I am generalizing, I think blends with three or more constituent tobaccos go better in chambers of broader diameter, so more of the several tobaccos are burning in the ember at once.

Sometimes I've noticed that narrow chambers and conical chambers give a good result with Virginias and Va/Pers.

But mostly, I think you don't know until you try a particular pipe. It may not give the results you expect, for good or ill.

I don't think the rules help much, although they might give you a sense of security so you can relax an enjoy a blend.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I watch a lot of NW Pipesmoker's videos and he smokes a lot of very wide bowled pipes even though he doesn't think they smoke as well, he just prefers the aesthetic of them especially because he collects Custom-Bilts and they tend to have wide bows. It's really intriguing how some smokers put aesthetic preferences into consideration while others only care about smoking quality. I think I'm in the former camp, for example I'd never smoke something like a Falcon or Kirsten because I think they're ugly though I do admire the engineering to create a lightweight pipe that gives a cool dry smoke. Ditto for calabashes, though i don't so much think they're ugly as a bit kitschy

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I was just talking about this with a friend. I have a 320KS and and XL02 apple type styles and regular sized billiard and pot types . I find virginias and dirty virginias best in the apple styles and the rest in the billiard types. Thats mainly because I smoked my first virginias in the apple styles so it makes me think they are the best for that tobacco. Cadence and draw and tobacco moisture matter most to me. Depth of chamber seems to only matter in terms of time to smoke and perhaps a different taste at the end of a deeper long smoke. But that works for me for some blends which taste changes for the better. All in all its just minute differences for me. I notice subtle differences at times which could also be explained by humidity of the air, the food I ate or the drink I drank during my session. The biggest thing for me is to just enjoy smoking my pipe and the relaxation it provides which is the best benefit to me.

Last edited: