PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I pretty much only smoke small bowled pipes. Group 3 and under. I tend to favour flakes and strong tobaccos and I definitely always slowly sip at my pipe.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Small pipes are now difficult to find in the market as new product.Much better to look at estate pipes.Why that happen? Because the best market for pipemakers is the amercan one and american smokers usually ask for big pipes.So probably only few english brand and some other like Savinelli make small pipes.Mario Grandi, Ardor many danish etc makes big pipes for the States

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a couple of nice small pipes that are ideal for this sort of cold weather (I'm an outdoor smoker). One of the E. A. Carey "Magic Inch" pipes I have is specifically called a "10 minute" pipe as that's about how long it takes to smoke a bowl full.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ok, I have to ask. As a newbie I've followed this discussion and have google'd my butt off to find out what a "dunhill size 3" would be. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus out there from what I can find. So here's the question:
Is a Savinelli 626 shape in group 3 or 4 ?

How about a Savinelli 616 ?
The reason why I'm taking those two is that most seem to be familiar with the shape and I have both of them so it gives me a point of reference.
Much obliged ;-)
PS: iwanries does list them as "3" and "5" respectively.

foxinabox

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
I once underestimated the MM miniatures, then, last february, ordered a three-fer of them from cup 'o joes. Mudded, then smoked in succession all three with some cheap cavendish. At first it felt weird, and took some days doping-out the nuances involved, but that I did, and they give me an average 25 minutes smoke with everything I've had, puffing nearly continuously, as is my habit.
Now a year has passed. I've smoked each about 200 times and expect many hundreds more for how nicely they've held up. But one thing bothers me, it's the frequency of cleaning demanded of a pipe of such a short overall-length; the sour juices of burnt leaf seeping up the stem... that is going to change. I will build longer shanks. A custom, extra-lengthened corncob miniature. Is there anything sweeter?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I just picked up a Stanwell with a small bowl. One Mac Baren vanilla flake fits perfectly. Personally I do not need a larger bowl. I found that half way threw a large bowl I was done. I would pack half bowls but that just did not seem rite to me. Why buy BIG bowls if I would only fill it half way all of the time? So I started my search for smaller pipes that would suite my smoking habits. I found a few at a local shop and most were $50 or more. So I saved a little and got the Stanwell. Later found it is a discontinued model.
I will be buying up all the small bowl pipes I can find. Might get a few small meerschaums next because they only run around $30. Or just save up a little more for briars?

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have gravitated to smaller bowls. At first I thought bigger was better, and if I'm driving I will use a Group6+ because there is less tending while driving. I started going to smaller pipes for club meeting and pipe shows so I could do more tobacco sampling, but now I am buying mostly small ones for general use.
Oh yeah - I'm a nic wimp, but like the taste of some of the eyeball crossing blends. So small pipes do the trick for me, especially since it seems that the high strength blends don't DGT that well.
hp

les

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
I have one monster of a Leedy. It could be used for home defense. I have one small Sav it may be a Dunhill size 2? The rest are around a size 5 or so.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Mostly smaller pipes here as well. I have a few large-ish pipe but I almost never smoke them.

Two main reasons:

1) I tend to be a clencher.

2) I don't really want to spend 1.5-2 hours on one smoke.

Maurizio is right about it being more difficult to find small pipes. I have passed on many beautiful pipes simply because I knew they were too large for me to truly enjoy.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Mick,
Just to let you know what size I'm talking about, I will give you the measurements of the Sasieni 4 Dot bent in my photograpgh.
It measures 5" long, the bowl is 1 3/4 " tall, and it's outside diameter is 1 1/4". I can fit my left hand ring finger in the bowl for 1 1/2" and it fills it up.
I'm not sure exactly what size this is, but it looks to me to be about a size 3, using Dunhill as a refrence.

Jul 15, 2011
I like smaller pipes for when I am smoking and working on something at the same time, like rearranging my bookshelves or playing chess or something like that. I equip them with softie bits so that they are easier to clench and aren't quite as hard on my jaw. Now for when I like to just sit and smoke and forget about the stress of the day, nothing beats a large bowled pipe. I have a nice mix of both and they all get used equally.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Apart from it being easier to clench a small pipe....why not just pack less tobacco in a normal sized pipe?
Having said that: I also have a couple of smaller pipes I like a lot. Like this Stanwell flamegrain one:
5551834405_b0d0f7976c.jpg

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Apart from it being easier to clench a small pipe....why not just pack less tobacco in a normal sized pipe?
I think back in the day "Normal" sized pipes were on the small size? Now days people think bigger is better it seems? I started with larger pipes because they were the average size on the market. I packed half bowls, sure it worked but why have a big pipe that is suited for long sit down smokes if you want a quick smoke on the go? A small pipe is suited for a quick smoke with little waste or half smoked tobacco left over. I like fresh tobacco and do not always have the time to smoke for over an hour. So small pipes suits my needs just fine.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
So I got that MM miniature! Here's a photo:
mmminiature.jpg

I do have very large hands so I put a quarter beside it to get some scale. It's a Canadian quarter eh, but it's the same size as the 'mercan ones so y'all dont't get confused now ya hear.
Anyways my impression of it before was definitely that of a toy or a novelty but having now spent some time inspecting it and holding it in my hands I can say I was definitely wrong. It's built to the same standards as any MM and looks like a solid smoker. It's small but it's not too small to hold like a normal pipe. But I can actually hold it between my fingers like a cigarette! Clenching is obviously no problem haha and from looking at the chamber size up close I admit you could get a good half hour out of this pipe if you smoke slow and pack to the brim.
Something no one has mentioned thus far is how small pipes sit in the pocket. I think I don't have to elaborate on that one
This model obviously has no hardwood plug in the bowl so I'm gonna go thick on the pipe mud down there to make sure this thing doesn't burn out quick.
I can't wait to smoke it! I like having some variety in my rotation and this thing is definitely cool. A 5 $ well spent.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have quite a few small pipes and love them. The only problem is when you're immersed in something and clenching it... sometimes you breathe in through your nose and get a big ole snozz full of smoke. 8O

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Mmmm So I finally got.a chance to smoke the mini yesterday and it sure was tasty. Smokes as well as any MM and I got 20 minutes ought of it and I was smoking fast. This is really the only pipe I have that I can clench for a long time comfortably. I'll definitely never underestimate a small pipe again.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Good to hear about the mini MM being a smoker. I've seen them for sale on Ebay on a display card holding about a dozen. As they are so cheap it seems that they would make an ideal "sampler" pipe for new tobaccos. I might have to treat myself to a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.