PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
I have a few small pipes--mostly Danish and German. As tobacco prices are so prohibitive in those countries, many of their pipes tend to be on the smaller side. I smoke them when I don't have a lot of time to devote. I generally smoke English/Balkan blends; although I do dedicate a few pipes to VA/VA Perique.
Our Tobacco prices are insanely high and going higher every year. Slow burning baccy in a small pipe makes perfect sense in that respect.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have one small meer, because i was a goof and didn't check the dimensions of it before i bought it, this tends to happen more with meers than other pipes, at least to me.. lol

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Our Tobacco prices are insanely high and going higher every year. Slow burning baccy in a small pipe makes perfect sense in that respect.

I don’t know about danish tobacco prices but as long I read people talking about prices in the US I think there are still reasonable prices in Germany. You can get Virginias 50 grams tin e.g. Hamborger Veermaster or Amphora for about 12.00 Euros. A tin of Three Nuns is about 17.50 Euros. And you can buy good quality bulk, 100 grams from 12.00 Euros to 19.00 Euros.

Also you can get bowl sizes of German pipe makers in a wide range.

Nevertheless I enjoy smaller bowls, shorter smokes, reload or swap to another pipe or tobacco throughout the the day. Don’t have the time to sit around and smoke big bowls for hours.

Last edited:

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I have a few small pipes--mostly Danish and German. As tobacco prices are so prohibitive in those countries, many of their pipes tend to be on the smaller side. I smoke them when I don't have a lot of time to devote. I generally smoke English/Balkan blends; although I do dedicate a few pipes to VA/VA Perique.
That's a new one to me, regarding small Danish and German pipes 😊 Are those of yours from WW2?

When pipe smoking was still popular here and pipe tobacco was still relatively cheap, most Danes usually smoked normal sized pipes (like normal in England). The total pipe tobacco market in Germany was not much larger than in little Denmark and Germans often liked bigger pipes, often pipes looking 'funny' to us Danes, and with 9mm filter. Pipe tobacco is now still relatively cheap in Germany. Only few buy new pipes in Denmark now. Nothing to do with cost as much as (anti-smoking) culture.
All Danish factories of size now closed and the few carvers/small factories remaining, probably make and export most, for other pipe cultures. Small or big pipes, for various markets/tastes.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Love my Peterson shorts but the chambers in some rival the size of the smaller chambered systems. I’ve got a little @Luiz Lavos commission and a little Rubio that provide plenty of time for enjoyment. Stay tuned for a little @doug535 poker that is looking awesome!! It’s all about the right sized chamber! ;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I love my tiny Bay Denmark Apple, and Mike is a man that really knows how to make great smoking pipes.

Not sure what you know about Mike, trained by Tom Eltang, and works with him too.

8AF06CD8-DBFE-4D34-920D-BDD545031F8D.jpeg

Just be sure to check the specs, he does make often bigger pipes.

Tabaccheria Corti always has the best deals on his pipes.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I don't care for the "Nose Warmer" pipes, but I do have a few smaller pipes I use when I'm trying out a new blend, or enjoying something that has a higher Nicotine hit than I usually smoke.

The small pipes I did buy, were bought because they appealed to me for some reason, not necessarily for their size, as sometimes I'll pack a bigger pipe only half full because of time, or the strength of the blend..

I try not to over-think the acquiring of pipes, or the blend for a certain pipe...:sher:

Reactions: Lucashly and seanv

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
So I got to wondering why one should have at least one small pipe. Most of mine are medium + but today I got a Bantam bowl for my Falcon collection. It is very compact and bijou, but I think it may be the perfect vehicle for enjoying slow burning flakes, eg St Bruno. Also for a short smoke maybe ? Testing new blends perhaps ? I reckon with a relaxed cadence, I might get a one hour smoke if I'm lucky. Do you have any small pipes and what do you smoke in them ?
Most of my pipes are small to medium. I prefer the chamber to be about 1" to 1.3" deep and .70" to .80" wide, though some of my pipes exceed this. I feel that I have less dottle and waste with a shallower chamber, and if I want more, I can simply swab out any moisture and refill.
I prefer narrower chambers (.70" and below) for flakes and broken flake. These cuts provide a lengthier smoke than ribbon and seem to do well in these pipes.
Full English blends are best suited to a small bowl, IMO. My palate gets latakia fatigue and I don't want to smoke a massive amount of them. Burley based blends tend to go in my relatively larger pipes.