PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Slow sipping is part of the key to getting the most flavor out of your smoke. You want to simmer the tobacco around the cherry. Finding the proper moisture level for the blends that you like is another part of that key. As I only smoke outdoors, I've spent a good deal of time figuring out the ways of the blends I most favor.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I'd say from experience as a 4-8 pipe a day guy that although it seems natural to puff the old chimney constantly,, it does taste better to smoke it like a cigar. By that I mean hold it in hand and put to your lips for a double tap puff and a big puff to fill your headspace with smoke. Repeating slowly so they bowl doesn't feel crazy hot and the modest bowl lasts longer than it would if you chugged it.
That doesn't mean smoking faster, hotter and louder isn't good. It just means the added heat and smoke in the mouth lessens the flavours. I personally enjoy both ways, the fast way for that amazing smoke bath and nasal assualt of yummy smells and the other for a taste test and calm down.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Pipe-smoking is a skill like riding a bicycle. You will have to focus on it at first, and then it will become unconscious repetitive habit, and finally it will transition to second nature where you will “feel” the pipe as an extension of yourself.
Most literature refers to smoking a pipe as “puffing” or even “sipping,” but neither of these are really accurate. A pipe smoker regulates the air flow through the pipe by using capillary action. The mouth clamped around the bit of the pipe seals that end of the tube, creating a slow but constant pressure toward which air is drawn through the bowl. This enables smoke to slowly fill the mouth and circulate around the areas where it is absorbed, mostly the roof of the mouth and tongue, and keeps temperature in the pipe low so that more flavor is conveyed.
http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/introduction-to-pipe-smoking-and-pipe-tobacco/
This was my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.