PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
What’s the story behind HS Studio? It’s amazing that they can do handmade pipes at that price point.
Yeah, as a person always looking for a burning house fire of a deal, I've almost bought a couple. But the googling yields even more confusion. There's an old post here that says they're actually from Canada, and it's just one dude? Can anyone fill in the blanks here? I absolutely hate the cultural unknowing of the entirety of 'Hecho en China' as it presents itself to us in the west. I would love to send my hard earned to any craftsman anywhere, but even for me, someone who tries hard not to tow any party lines, I get a little freaked about Chinese made in general. We only recently figured out lead fumes were making us all stupid over here and their regulators still seem a bit dump-the-oil-in-the-sewer-drainy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tate and AroEnglish

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Yeah, as a person always looking for a burning house fire of a deal, I've almost bought a couple. But the googling yields even more confusion. There's an old post here that says they're actually from Canada, and it's just one dude? Can anyone fill in the blanks here? I absolutely hate the cultural unknowing of the entirety of 'Hecho en China' as it presents itself to us in the west. I would love to send my hard earned to any craftsman anywhere, but even for me, someone who tries hard not to tow any party lines, I get a little freaked about Chinese made in general. We only recently figured out lead fumes were making us all stupid over here and their regulators still seem a bit dump-the-oil-in-the-sewer-drainy.
I'm personally going with the "made in China" origination. And since I doubt I'd be supporting an artisan, I'll pass.

Reactions: obc83

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have to say this is my sleeper pipe. Got it for $11 on Ebay quite a while back.
It won't be leaving my stable while under my watch.

1699041382223.png

1699041450439.png

Reactions: obc83

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
What’s the story behind HS Studio? It’s amazing that they can do handmade pipes at that price point.
This is what their ebay page state

Brand founder Wilson is a former architect who was once a world-renowned pipe agent. Since the establishment of “Wilson pipe studio” in 2011, we have been learning traditional pipemaking methods and developing our unique style at the same time. At present, we have more than 20 professional pipemaker. We are committed to creating beautiful, interesting and easy to use pipe works for the customers.

There are two series under HS Studio:

"Classic" series, inscribed as "HS STUDIO / ROAD TOWN", Make the traditional style of pipe.

"FREEHAND”series, inscribed as "HS STUDIO / HAND MADE", Make freestyle pipe.

How true is it IDK. I have a few of them and most of them smoke as good as any other factory pipe if not better. All of the HS studios I have will pass a pipe cleaner with 0 effort. I cannot say the same for some of the Savinellis or Petersons I've had. Would I pay any more than 50 or 60 for them? No, I use them as my beaters. Hiking, fishing, driving etc.

Last edited:

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
I'm personally going with the "made in China" origination. And since I doubt I'd be supporting an artisan, I'll pass.
I get ya, but don't get me wrong I support a ton of artisans. But at the same time, I'm not going to take a $900 artisan pipe fishing...Capture.PNG

I would say probably about 85-90% of my pipes are artisan pipes, and of that at least 75% are American artisan

Reactions: AroEnglish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's not the pipe I'm worried about. I'm worried about losing it. Ask me where my 1986 Dunhill shell briar with Cumberland is.

No clue. I lost it somewhere. Hence nice pipes stay in the house 98% of the time
I've got one Dunhill left as a glove box pipe, but many of mine are very large. Not hard to find if misplaced.

Reactions: yohanan and Tate

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
For some reason, I just have a hard time buying a pipe for under $300. I'm not a fan of saving money, because, what the hell do I do with all of it then? puffy
I've never been a big fan of the whole Henry Ford, make a bunch, so that you can sell for less. I am more of a luxury goods type of guy.

But, I am glad that you guys all dig these. Maybe they will come up with a more expensive line, and I can give them a try.
Well cosmic your in luck because I have 1 that's super special to me, but I can't take no less then $369 for it. It's probably the most horrible smoker you will own but I mean you can just toss it in the trash if it's not up to par 😅

H

HRPufnstuf

I'm sure you've all seen my sleeper in the last two months: My MMBB (Mystery Manufacturer Bent Billiard). I just finished a 90 min smoke in it. I cannot remember the co$t of it but I am certain it was under $75 CAN (more or less my daily-use pipe budget). It started out as my work-a-day pipe but was supplanted by MM Legends. Now I know I can sit down and binge-watch a couple of episodes of "whatever" knowing it will outlast my video entertainment. A true diamond in the rough.

MMBB.JPG

P.S.: I have to learn to edit before posting.

• Love
Reactions: obc83 and Tate

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I'm sure you've all seen my sleeper in the last two months: My MMBB (Mystery Manufacturer Bent Billiard). I just finished a 90 min smoke in it. I cannot remember the co$t of it but I am certain it was under $75 CAN (more or less my daily-use pipe budget). It started out as my work-a-day pipe but was supplanted by MM Legends. Now I know I can sit down and binge-watch a couple of episodes of "whatever" knowing it will outlast my video entertainment. A true diamond in the rough.

View attachment 258731

P.S.: I have to learn to edit before posting.
I think I know who made your mystery pipe. It looks like an early Ed Burak Connoisseur bent billiard. Ed openrd his shop in 1968 but did not stamp his pipes at all until 1974 when they were stamped connoisseur NYC. He added a signature E Burak to the stamping in 1981

Here is a photo of mine from the 1990s

IMG_1927.jpg

Here is one that just sold on Ebay for 69$

1699896682679.png1699896682679.png

If you want to know more about Ed's work here is a link to his pipedia page

All in all I'd say that you lucked into a pipe from a great maker. Ed only used the finest available Grecian plateau briar even for his standard shapes

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish and Tate
H

HRPufnstuf

I really don't think that can be it, this pipe is only 10 years old at most. I do love the passion people have for trying to track it down but it is a basket pipe after all, it wasn't more than $75 Canadian. I bought it straight from Thomas Hinds in Winnipeg. That being said,it is a great smoker and a largish bowl, I regularly get 90 minutes from it. Thanks for all the interest.

I really do think it is simply a case of the rare confluence of good elements in a cheap pipe.

Reactions: Tate