PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Cosmic said:

but I am pretty sure that even a mediocre flamenco player can out play most mentioned.

I can see why you believe this since the major labels often mine the flamenco industry for top talent.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh, Leave it to me to miss that part. So, I did find a bunch of latino rock bands that have flamenco guitarists. As I said, it’s not what I usually listen to, but now that I’ve seen that this is a thing I may have to check out more…

I hear a lot of Santana-esque here…
Traditional flamenco is not my normal jam but I definitely respect it. I like classical music that infuses flamenco style. A great flamenco band that I do love is Rodrigo y Gabriela, they are a great duo. This is a more popular song from them. Amazing stuff. I must say, I’m digging El Javi too.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
SRV, Dave Edmunds, Duane Allman, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Walter Becker and Skunk Baxter way up there for me - but Clapton is far from overrated and would be considered best ever by many, he's just not one of my all time favorites, same with Hendrix. There are so many and I don't have time to list others I really enjoy - I'm remiss in not mentioning George Harrison even though he wasn't seemingly at the skill level of many, but still influential and I'm a huge fan.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Haha, how could I leave Brian Setzer off, lol.

Edmunds played this from the 60s when he was with Love Sculpture and throughout his career - his live performances of Sabre Dance are a blast to watch. Here's one:

Briarberg

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Richmond, Virginia
Some favorites of mine:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Hendrix
Nancy Wilson
Angus Young
not rock but I'll also throw in George Benson

and modern favorites:

Yvette Young of Covet
Jordan Buckley and Andy Williams of Every Time I Die -- an incredible duo

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Favorite six “rock song” guitarists: David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Alex Lifeson, Jimi Hendrix, Criss Oliva, Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch.

And have to throw in two more: Dave Murray & Adrian Smith.

Favorite “plus three” rock instrumental guitarists: Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Gary Hoey.

Last edited:

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
How could I have forgotten to mention Peter Green...founder of Fleetwood Mac?

Here he is playing 'Green Manalishi'...

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown) - YouTube

HawkeyeLinus, that was a terrific clip!

Regards,

Jay.
Agreed on Peter Green. Check out Worried Dream, I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living, and Jumping At Shadows from this list (the whole article/list is great, but the live performances are where you hear him at his best):

Other great tracks are on the following, all with the original Fleetwood Mac (the 1970 Boston CDs are relatively easy to find; the other two CD sets take a little more persistence, but they are out there):

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Jimmy Page
Django Reinhardt
Lenny Breau
Norman Blake
Mark Speer
Frank Zappa
God, I forgot about Zappa. I feel people like Zappa and Beck though, are more composers then musicians. Tom Scholz being another one. Anyone that can play and write their entire album, is pretty amazing.