PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I must be a born Codger.
Guilty here as well. I have been breaking in a new pipe with Middletons Apple and some other drugstore blends. I had SWRA a long time ago when I first started smoking. As I remember it, it was pleasant enough that I wanted to keep smoking a pipe, so it must not have been too terrible.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nice review as usual Bob!

Probably going to buy a pouch and see for myself.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Great honest review thanks.

I have never tried SWR but I was going to get some in my next order but now I'm not. I would still like to try it some day but not going to chance buying a pouch after reading this.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I think some folks are nostalgic with SWR. I gave it a go but less than loved it. Honestly I did not like it at all but now I know and can check it off my list. I felt the same about PA. I enjoy burly but these two did not float my boat.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
My first experience with SWR was 45 years ago when it was all that was available in the Navy PX. To this day it still brings back memories of that time and era. I still enjoy it on occasion and find it to be some very good burley. Personal preference is what it's all about.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
Raleigh was 'my tobacco' years ago, and remained so for a long time--got off it back in the mid/late '60s--oddly enough the PXs where i was stationed didn't have many OTCs--
tried it again a couple years ago--it's still OK, but it has definitely gone through some mods since 1967--

the cut is different, and today's pouch is usually as dry as a powder house--i made the error of restoring moisture--it didn't help it at all; in fact it is much better dry--

ruffinogold

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
I have a bowl of SWR in a Cob [ with filter ] every morning with coffee . That combo is made for each other . SWR/Cob/Coffee .. perfect :)

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
When I first smoked SWR, I found myself not particularly enjoying it; however, I kept pursuing the matter, smoking it here and there. Through each bowl my thoughts were the same, nothing impressive, but I found that I kept reaching for the packet of SWR. That has been over 6 months ago and I still keep a pack with on me when I leave the house for college or work. As others have stated time and time again, SWR is the quintessential burley tobacco; nothing special just a plain ole smoke that is perfect for when your on the go or just want a tobacco that is not complex and intricate.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Like a few other old codgers, SWR was my main smoke for several years back in the late 60's. Found English blends and never went back. Will have to pick up a pouch and see what my old friend is up to these days.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Just tried it for the first time this weekend. I'm somewhat indifferent to PA for some reason, but enjoy Carter Hall quite a bit. I found SWR to be enjoyable. I don't think I'd rush out to buy another pack, but also wouldn't turn it down either.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
SWR is what I bought to start out with - and I find it boring. To me, it isn't "bad" it just has no flavor or, well, anything. I've smoked about 1/2 the puch and still find it rather bland. It is still a relaxing experience to smoke it but I'm looking forward to finding someting "more".
I picked up some Prince Albert Vanilla/Cherry and get a bit more taste from it but still not a lot. I know that it'll take more of it (and SWR) smoked to get a good read on it so I'm still hopeful. I figure I'll be trying out most of the OTC brands I can get locally before I order anything. When I was a cigar smoker I liked the more full bodied smokes so I figure that it'll be the same, more or less, with pipes.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
I just bought my first pouch of this stuff the other day and I gave it away. I just didnt do anything for me. After smoking SWR aromatic for awhile now, I guess I could have just been expecting too much. But as I tell everyone, despite negative reviews, Go buy some and give it a try, it could be exactly what your after. Because i didnt like it, doesnt mean that you will dislike it...

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I've smoked about twenty different blends over the last two months, and SWR is in my top five. I purchased it just to try it out, and it was dryer than a rock, which really concerned me. I ended up smoking it anyways, and am glad that I did. A lot of smoke, which i like. I wish I knew how to review blends properly, but all I can say at the moment is that I enjoy SWR.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
SWR is like a spoonful of peanut butter. The flavors are not multidimensional, or loud. Its just a good all around no nonsense smoke.
:puffpipe:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There are lots of better, more flavorful blends - and I smoke a lot of them - but as a change of pace, SWR works for me. I enjoy it when I do smoke it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Perhaps I will try SWR. I found PA and H&H to be way too wet. I liked the general flavours of those two brands but the moisture/humectant did not appeal to me very much...

Status
Not open for further replies.