PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Probably! I don't sip, neither do I freight train a bowl. I make a vigorous light, lots of heavy draws, then settle down to gentle draws. Call it sipping if you like!
Ditto. Word for word.

It was a good thing to understand that a hot smoke is bad smoke. Let the flavour come to me...take it easy!

I've never seen a Ewetube pipe video; the more I hear about them, the less likely it becomes that I will. But, I don't entirely knock 'em: not many real-life pipe smokers to learn from.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Heat kills the flavor of tobacco. Low and slow makes flavorful smoke. Sipping is not how I would describe the method. More air equals hotter burn which reduces flavor. Less air lower temperature more flavor. Less or more air is directly related to the speed of draw and length of time of the drawing. You want a slow draw to keep the temp down and then stop drawing before the tobacco cooks too long and produces acrid smoke. You breath with a pipe like it's part of you not like you are sipping from a glass. If you sipped a drink like you smoke a pipe you would drown.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think I may be confusing a slow draw with a small draw.
I made that mistake for a long time as well. A long draw can still cook out the flavor even if you think you're being slow and gentle. What works best for me is to take tiny little sips, so small you wouldn't think you'd get much out of them. It's counterintuitive, so at this stage, I still have to focus on that a lot if I want to get the most sweetness and flavor.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Probably! I don't sip, neither do I freight train a bowl. I make a vigorous light, lots of heavy draws, then settle down to gentle draws. Call it sipping if you like!
That describes my approach pretty well. I don't try for any "slow smoke contest."

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Heat kills the flavor of tobacco. Low and slow makes flavorful smoke. Sipping is not how I would describe the method. More air equals hotter burn which reduces flavor. Less air lower temperature more flavor. Less or more air is directly related to the speed of draw and length of time of the drawing. You want a slow draw to keep the temp down and then stop drawing before the tobacco cooks too long and produces acrid smoke. You breath with a pipe like it's part of you not like you are sipping from a glass. If you sipped a drink like you smoke a pipe you would drown.
Your descriptions of pipe techniques are very helpful

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Slow and low is where the flavor is.

Roll the smoke around your mouth before expelling it. Expel smoke through your nose from time to time. Pause before repeating. That’ll slow you down and satisfy the quest for flavor.
Agreed. That retro-hale back through the nose is where I really get the taste of the tobaccos.
This subject can be a bit confusing. I equate "sipping" to a cup of hot coffee. Just a tad comes in.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Many of us just worked it out prior to the internet without ever having met another pipe smoker.
True. But how many forum introductions have "I tried a pipe x years ago, burned my mouth, got frustrated and quit .."?

I empathise with someone trying to get the hang of it. It might have been over four decades ago, but I vividly recollect holding a pipe in one hand, a pouch of Irish Mead tobacco in the other, and thinking "now what!?"

I'd wager many, many more pipe smokers have been lost due to a difficult beginning than have persevered and figured out to enjoy a smoke.

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm one of those "research" guys. I want to have an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing before doing it. I'm not much for just winging it and hoping for the best or struggling along trying to figure it out on my own.
Which only makes sense. I do see the appeal of being a rugged individualist, going it alone. But, my heavens, I don't wish to reinvent the wheel! I'm constantly shocked by how little I know, and how clever others can be; I'm happy to ride on their coattails...