Single Pipe or Two-Pipe Pouch Recommendation Needed: FireDog Brand or Something Similar

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Hello, fellow pipe smokers,

I am searching for good quality, good looking, reasonably priced and convenient pouch or roll suitable for one or maybe two pipes. Can anyone recommend a good solution based on their experience? Pictures of how yours look stuffed with pipe and tobacco would be very helpful and much appreciated.

While some pouches available at TobaccoPipes, SmokingPipes and 4noginngs are looking good and seem to be well constructed, they come at a price that I am not sure I want to pay. I am located in Canada, so if I add USD to CAD conversion and shipping I am facing somewhat a steep bottom line cost. Wondering if any of you owns a solid single-pipe or two-pipes pouches or have considered alternatives that can be recommended. On the opposite end of my negative bias are the cheap China-made no-name knock-offs, which often look like their quality is sub-par. If its gonna be a no-name I want it to be of good quality and good looking case at least.

I see that some of the forum members own FireDog pipe carrying cases, which I found on Amazon and eBay, and I wonder what is your experience with this brand? Are these pouches well constructed? How's the tobacco compartment lining? Is it worth getting? The Firedog brand seems to be priced more reasonably and comes with features that I see on 4thGeneration and some other trusted brands' pouches?

Here is the pouch I am referring to: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWP9GBG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3BS7ZH10GUU1O&psc=1

I would also consider well made and good looking waxed canvas rolls if anyone can recommend.

Reactions: radrick96

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve got this canvas one pipe roll (on a sale, happens now and then). Made in Canada. No pics at the moment.

It’s sturdy, seems durable, and fits a single pipe, cleaners, tamper, zippo (and bic backup). That leaves one pocket for a rolled up ziploc of tobacco or two. I carry little tobacco. I wouldn’t try to squeeze in a tin or a lot of tobacco, or a second pipe. Too compact.

I’ve enjoyed using it for walks in the woods or to a friend’s backyard.

Reactions: Severus

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Firedog is a major rip-off of quality brands. Sinojunk if you ask me. Months ago someone got for ~$35 USD the rip-off of this Savinelli pouch:

The Sav is probably 'too expensive' to some, but my point is: when you get for $35 a faux-simile of something that costs $216 you have to wonder at how much quality was thrown overboard and how many corners were cut.

Not sure this is the best time to speak about leather in the forum, but well, I'm betting we'll all behave like adults in this one thread, so when Firedog or any other elcheapo brand/offering say 'genuine leather' it's not really leather that you're getting. "Genuine leather" is a misnomer for bottom of the barrel scrap suede that some factories in China buy and plastify the top of and then mill or emboss it with some texture that makes it look like top grain. Well, technically it IS leather because it came from an animal skin, but its quality and durability is that of glorified scrap suede.

Of course, if none of that bothers you, then I rest my case for the goods that were made with attention to craftsmanship and quality materials.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I’ve got this canvas one pipe roll (on a sale, happens now and then). Made in Canada. No pics at the moment.

It’s sturdy, seems durable, and fits a single pipe, cleaners, tamper, zippo (and bic backup). That leaves one pocket for a rolled up ziploc of tobacco or two. I carry little tobacco. I wouldn’t try to squeeze in a tin or a lot of tobacco, or a second pipe. Too compact.

I’ve enjoyed using it for walks in the woods or to a friend’s backyard.
Thanks, @Casual. I have been looking at this roll, and it's a definite candidate to become my "on-the-go" pipe roll. The only thing about it is that I won't be able to easily house in it a tin of tobacco, but I am yet to decided what's the best way to store tobacco for the day when I am out. For now, I am just putting my daily portion in a paper towel and throw it in the zip-lock bag with all the accessories.

Reactions: Casual

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Firedog is a major rip-off of quality brands. Sinojunk if you ask me. Months ago someone got for ~$35 USD the rip-off of this Savinelli pouch:

The Sav is probably 'too expensive' to some, but my point is: when you get for $35 a faux-simile of something that costs $216 you have to wonder at how much quality was thrown overboard and how many corners were cut.

Not sure this is the best time to speak about leather in the forum, but well, I'm betting we'll all behave like adults in this one thread, so when Firedog or any other elcheapo brand/offering say 'genuine leather' it's not really leather that you're getting. "Genuine leather" is a misnomer for bottom of the barrel scrap suede that some factories in China buy and plastify the top of and then mill or emboss it with some texture that makes it look like top grain. Well, technically it IS leather because it came from an animal skin, but its quality and durability is that of glorified scrap suede.

Of course, if none of that bothers you, then I rest my case for the goods that were made with attention to craftsmanship and quality materials.
Yes, I saw that post, @olkofri . And wasn't sure about its quality. So what you are saying strongly resonates with the feeling I got after eyeing the pictures online. I appreciate quality accessories and am ready to spend the money, but I want to be sure that what I am buying is of good quality. The price, however, is not always a good indicator of that, as some brands just leverage their name and do a so-so job on the quality of the peripheral products, while their flagship products are top-notch quality.

I didn't know about the manipulations performed on the leather products made in China, so thanks for educating me. I will be very very careful and am more inclined now to get a pouch either from a good brand or a well-regarded artisan.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you're open to the idea of re-purposing, the world is your oyster.

I got an old "portable CD player" bag for under $5 at the thrift store and it is incredibly versatile and convenient. You can see it HERE.

1593996782055.png

• Wow
Reactions: Severus and Casual

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
If you're open to the idea of re-purposing, the world is your oyster.

I got an old "portable CD player" bag for under $5 at the thrift store and it is incredibly versatile and convenient. You can see it HERE.

View attachment 35439
That's a sweet set up, @jaytex969. If I find a bag that I like in the process I might go for that idea, although at the moment I am more inclined to get a purpose designed accessory.

Reactions: jaytex1969
Jun 23, 2019
What's your target budget?

There's not that much "tech" when it comes to these pipe pouches so it really comes down to paying for: quality of materials, labors, and name/reputation. If you move away from the Sav, you can probably save on the last factor, but in the end you get what you pay for.

If you have an idea of what you want, maybe you can sketch something up and get a local leather worker to do the construction for you.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It's self-serving to mention it (I am the manufacturer) but a View attachment 35474SCooSA might be what you're looking for. Available in 2 or 4 pipe configurations in 3 leather colors. Three gasketed, stainless tins hold an ounce of tobacco each, keeping it fresh longer than any pouch. Come with an ashtray, work surface, pipe stand, and accessory tray.

Well that’s slicker than catfish shit on a wet rock.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
It's self-serving to mention it (I am the manufacturer) but a SCooSA might be what you're looking for. Available in 2 or 4 pipe configurations in 3 leather colors. Three gasketed, stainless tins hold an ounce of tobacco each, keeping it fresh longer than any pouch. Come with an ashtray, work surface, pipe stand, and accessory tray.

Wow, that would make one hell of a vacation pack. I'll be easy to buy for this christmas.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
What's your target budget?

There's not that much "tech" when it comes to these pipe pouches so it really comes down to paying for: quality of materials, labors, and name/reputation. If you move away from the Sav, you can probably save on the last factor, but in the end you get what you pay for.

If you have an idea of what you want, maybe you can sketch something up and get a local leather worker to do the construction for you.

Ideally I’d like to spend under $50, but after doing some research I seach that its hard to find a decent quality pouch for that much. I guess, will have to wait for a sale opportunity.

There are some smartly designed pouches and I like their design, so I do not see the need to reinvent the wheel. For example the single pipe pouch made by 4th Generation have a very convenient design and is not too big for my needs.

Severus

Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
It's self-serving to mention it (I am the manufacturer) but a View attachment 35474SCooSA might be what you're looking for. Available in 2 or 4 pipe configurations in 3 leather colors. Three gasketed, stainless tins hold an ounce of tobacco each, keeping it fresh longer than any pouch. Come with an ashtray, work surface, pipe stand, and accessory tray.

@chilllucky, SCooSA looks very good and has all the features that a pipe smoker may need. It would be an overkill for my needs however. I need a small pouch to carry my pipe and a bit of tobacco when I go to park, to visit parents or in-laws. SCooSA is something that I would consider as a good option for a longer getaway of few days or weeks. At some point I will be on a hunt for such a solution as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.