Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Hello all,

I recently shared photos of my new Peterson Silver Spigot 230 to many favorable comments:

Sadly, this near perfect pipe has a slight issue with the stem. As I took it apart after its inaugural smoke I noticed that the acrylic portion of the stem is the slightest bit loose within the silver portion that covers the tenon, allowing it to move ever so slightly back and forth. It's not terrible but I imagine the issue can become worse with time.

I'm writing to ask for guidance in how to address this. Do I contact Peterson directly? The email on their site is shop@peterson.ie - which doesn't seem to be the proper department. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: rushx9 and Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m sure it’s your fault. Probably holding it wrong. :LOL:

And yes, in your situation, I’d probably contact the manufacturer. If it was unsmoked and I wanted to return it for a refund I would contact the retailer I bought it from.

Of course, if it’s smokingpipes.com, they have the same parent company as Peterson pipes anyway, so it’s likely unimportant which one to contact.

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hello all,

I recently shared photos of my new Peterson Silver Spigot 230 to many favorable comments:

Sadly, this near perfect pipe has a slight issue with the stem. As I took it apart after its inaugural smoke I noticed that the acrylic portion of the stem is the slightest bit loose within the silver portion that covers the tenon, allowing it to move ever so slightly back and forth. It's not terrible but I imagine the issue can become worse with time.

I'm writing to ask for guidance in how to address this. Do I contact Peterson directly? The email on their site is shop@peterson.ie - which doesn't seem to be the proper department. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
There is no rewind button on spun metal. If a "shrink wrap" fit wasn't achieved at the time of manufacture, there is no practical way to correct it after the fact.

The good news is that the bowl---the reason you bought the pipe in the first place---is a stand-alone object. Replace the stem and you've fixed the pipe.

Laudisi stands by what they sell in my experience. If you bought the pipe from them getting the stem swapped shouldn't be a problem. Ditto Cup-O-Joe's. (I've no recent experience with any other Pete sellers)

Peterson's quality control has been an issue for a while. I DON'T mean shoddy workmanship overall, but SOME of the small percentage of errors that occur in the normal course of ANY type of manufacturing that involves hand work, does indeed get past (or is allowed past) the inspectors.

It may be that the de facto pushing of the final QA onto customers makes the cost accountants and MBAs smile, but there's a major flaw in that approach: Since no one knows how many sales are lost because of it---meaning people who pass on buying a pipe that catches their eye because they don't want to deal with the hassle of a possible return---the cost accountants and MBAs always win.

Such thinking has been the downfall of many once-legendary products and brands.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I only recently bought my first silver spigot, so don't know a lot about them. But, when I want to remove the stem, I'll grip it by the silver end and gently twist as I didn't want to inadvertently cause the problem you mention.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
There is no rewind button on spun metal. If a "shrink wrap" fit wasn't achieved at the time of manufacture, there is no practical way to correct it after the fact.

The good news is that the bowl---the reason you bought the pipe in the first place---is a stand-alone object. Replace the stem and you've fixed the pipe.

Laudisi stands by what they sell in my experience. If you bought the pipe from them getting the stem swapped shouldn't be a problem. Ditto Cup-O-Joe's. (I've no recent experience with any other Pete sellers)

Peterson's quality control has been an issue for a while. I DON'T mean shoddy workmanship overall, but SOME of the small percentage of errors that occur in the normal course of ANY type of manufacturing that involves hand work, does indeed get past (or is allowed past) the inspectors.

It may be that the de facto pushing of the final QA onto customers makes the cost accountants and MBAs smile, but there's a major flaw in that approach: Since no one knows how many sales are lost because of it---meaning people who pass on buying a pipe that catches their eye because they don't want to deal with the hassle of a possible return---the cost accountants and MBAs always win.

Such thinking has been the downfall of many once-legendary products and brands.
Thanks for this. I reached out to Laudisi directly earlier. We'll see what they say.

Reactions: rushx9

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I only recently bought my first silver spigot, so don't know a lot about them. But, when I want to remove the stem, I'll grip it by the silver end and gently twist as I didn't want to inadvertently cause the problem you mention.
I do that with my spigots as well but still, I don't think the stem should've left the factory with play in it.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I’m sure it’s your fault. Probably holding it wrong. :LOL:

And yes, in your situation, I’d probably contact the manufacturer. If it was unsmoked and I wanted to return it for a refund I would contact the retailer I bought it from.

Of course, if it’s smokingpipes.com, they have the same parent company as Peterson pipes anyway, so it’s likely unimportant which one to contact.
The pipe is really too nice to send back so I'm hoping Peterson/Laudisi can make good on the stem.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
UPDATE: I contacted Laudisi directly and they are going to send me a replacement spigot stem. You can't beat that service. What a way to build brand loyalty.
I thought they were fit to the individual pipe?

George knows about my recent stem issues with Peterson. I’ll never buy a new one again.

I’m not paying them good money to do their final QC and be left holding the hot potato.

sure they said they would replace the stem but I had to send them the pipe and wait 3-4 months.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com

George knows about my recent stem issues with Peterson. I’ll never buy a new one again.

I’m not paying them good money to do their final QC and be left holding the hot potato.

sure they said they would replace the stem but I had to send them the pipe and wait 3-4 months.
Thanks for this info. I was told it would take a couple of weeks to get the replacement stem. What was the issue with your stem? Was it sorted ultimately? Maybe my loyalty is not as solid as I thought but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for this info. I was told it would take a couple of weeks to get the replacement stem. What was the issue with your stem? Was it sorted ultimately? Maybe my loyalty is not as solid as I thought but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I sent it to @georged to have a proper stem created.

mine is that deluxe system I posted. The airway in the stem doesn’t line up to the p-lip hole. Enough so that barely any air would come through and a Pipecleaner through it was impossible. Where the p-lip hole and the stem airway connect it looked like a Venn Diagram.

I bought it from a UK seller as you did. I contacted Peterson originally and they told me to contact Laudisi. At first Laudisi said they were going to charge me $40 for a new stem. This is on top of the $180 or whatever the hell I paid already for the pipe. After I emailed back asking why I was being charged for a factory defect they said they would do it for free. But would take 3-4 months. I’m not sending a pipe to a company with a response like that. It does not instill confidence.

so I figured I’d rather pay over the cost of the pipe to get a stem I’ll enjoy and it’s the absolute last money Laudisi is going to see from me.

• Wow

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com

mine is that deluxe system I posted. The airway in the stem doesn’t line up to the p-lip hole. Enough so that barely any air would come through and a Pipecleaner through it was impossible. Where the p-lip hole and the stem airway connect it looked like a Venn Diagram.

I bought it from a UK seller as you did. I contacted Peterson originally and they told me to contact Laudisi. At first Laudisi said they were going to charge me $40 for a new stem. This is on top of the $180 or whatever the hell I paid already for the pipe. After I emailed back asking why I was being charged for a factory defect they said they would do it for free. But would take 3-4 months. I’m not sending a pipe to a company with a response like that. It does not instill confidence.

so I figured I’d rather pay over the cost of the pipe to get a stem I’ll enjoy and it’s the absolute last money Laudisi is going to see from me.
I see. That is certainly an unfortunate experience. That is one gorgeous pipe. Is the stem in the pic the one georged made, complete with Peterson "P"? I have an old Pete Meer that I wish had a fishtail stem. Maybe he can make one for me.
image0.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Military mounts are a different animal. As long as the cone is cut to a certain angle, it will fit. There is no need to "tune fit" a tenon by hand (which is a laborious process when done after the fact)

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Military mounts are a different animal. As long as the cone is cut to a certain angle, it will fit. There is no need to fit a tenon by hand.
Gotcha. But why do they have to fit the non-spigot mounts? Shouldn’t it just be angles also?

I would figure if your mortise is (random number) 10 degrees slanted that a tenon with a 10 degree slant should always fit?

I tried the stem from my other acrylic stemmed 20s and it did not fit.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I see. That is certainly an unfortunate experience. That is one gorgeous pipe. Is the stem in the pic the one georged made, complete with Peterson "P"? I have an old Pete Meer that I wish had a fishtail stem. Maybe he can make one for me.
View attachment 32044
No that is the original acrylic stem. I’m having him do something different on it. ;)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Gotcha. But why do they have to fit the non-spigot mounts? Shouldn’t it just be angles also?

I would figure if your mortise is (random number) 10 degrees slanted that a tenon with a 10 degree slant should always fit?

I tried the stem from my other acrylic stemmed 20s and it did not fit.
There are a number of size "families". Same cone angle, but different overall diameters.

Basically, if you have a supply of all the sizes, it's just a matter of matching. There's no hand work involved (after the stems leave Sallynoggin, that is.)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There are a number of size "families". Same cone angle, but different overall diameters.

Basically, if you have a supply of all the sizes, it's just a matter of matching. There's no hand work involved (after the stems leave Sallynoggin, that is.)
So they drill the mortises to different sizes? Odd

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Dang, that's the pipe I almost bought. Sorry to hear of the problems. You still have an amazing bowl though, and the stem will be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.