PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
There are two sides to that cloth, and all it's going to do to briar is shine it up.

View attachment 118864
The SDS for one brand of cloth says 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol, diethylene glycol monobutyl ether. It's been over 40 years since I took organic chem so I've no idea what that is except it cleans silver real well. Nice pipe!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just ordered some Halcyon II from @wilblee at his website.

Can’t wait to get it and shine them up.

I actually thought wilblee had been a member here longer too, anyhow, glad to see you here, love your site! ❤️

wilblee

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
I just ordered some Halcyon II from @wilblee at his website.

Can’t wait to get it and shine them up.

I actually thought wilblee had been a member here longer too, anyhow, glad to see you here, love your site! ❤️
Nice site. Not mine.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I do not put any wax or silicons on my pipes...Just rubbing them down with cloth to make them clean after smokes .There is plenty of natural oils from holding the pipe...The only exception is if I get my new bought pipes restored the pipe guy puts some carnauba wax on them and thats it....I put some obsidian oil on vulcanite stems once in a while...

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'm compulsive with a red/pink Dunhill Pipe Cloth along. I have them sitting everywhere I smoke along with one that travels with me in the "action pac". I'll use Renaissance or Halcyon II Wax occasionally. I don't trust myself with a buffing wheel.

Reactions: PipeIT

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Call me a primitive, a purist, or a rube, but I skip the products as much as possible and apply only a slight abrasive, like a paper towel, and a soft cloth to my pipes on any regular basis. Products and wax give a nice shine but also leave a residue I don't want. I find simple polishing gives a nice shine and no residue over decades. My first pipe, which is over forty years old, does not look new, but it looks great. A little charring from being smoked a lot, but still handsome and appetizing. I don't use a buffer, just hand polishing. The only difficulties reading stamps is from misapplied stamps that came with the new pipe.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Had a special Purdy (still do) called the Cornucopia. Wills first turtle grade. Used briar pipe wipe spray (on a rag) on it, and it got dull. I like briar pipe wipe...!

Questioned Will and he asked "would you use that spray stuff on a Stickley?' (fine wood furniture). Don't have any of that so how would I know!?

Well he cleaned it up for me and I switched to Renaissance wax.

Not an expert, but the stuff works well and a tin lasts a lifetime.

Reactions: mingc and RobNYC